Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all! I have a situation with my legend's brakes. The pedal goes all the way down and I checked for leaks around the car and don't see any. I don't see leaks around the master cylinder or brake booster...what could it possibly be?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
How do I know its not either the master cylinder or brake booster? What are the symptoms of each when they go bad?

·
Spiral descent
5,040 Posts
If you want, you can check the online manual for diagnosis instructions, but master cylinder failure on these cars is quite common. Get a new or rebuilt master cylinder, install it correctly; bench bleed, no 'flooring' the pedal while bleeding, and you'll have your answer. Just hold on to the original in case it's something else.

·
-------------------------
1,983 Posts
I would thoroughly check each brake line individually (means jacking the car up and removing each wheel to inspect the entire line. If it happened suddenly while driving that's your most likely culprit. Master cylinders tend to give off warning signs like a pedal that will gradually go to the floor with constant pressure.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats exactly what it did Pacallen, it gradually went to the floor with constant pressure so...thats what it is then. What is bench bleeding?

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
:yes: faulty M/C; you will not normally see the brake fluid leaking out externally of the brake master cylinder or from the wheel areas when this pedal softness occurs, fluid will usually not be low or in need of topping off… the leak is internal and the brake fluid is leaking past internal O-rings, so an obvious external sign that the master cylinder is "bad" is usually not existent.

Bench bleeding, in a nutshell; to remove air trapped in the master cylinder before it can be installed.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
telafonic said:
master cylinder failure on these cars is quite common.
legendvr said:
Hmm... no it's not.
sam o nela said:
I think due to age and neglect rather than mechanical or design defect.
Since I've joined the A-L community, most of the G1 faulty brake (M/C related) inquiries are ABS equipped vehicles... but as far as I can remember, I've yet to replace my non-ABS M/C.

Maybe because I flush them hydraulic lines every brake service? :squint:

·
difficult to kill
722 Posts
my g2 had the master cylinder replaced by the previous owner (they took care of bhg as well) at a (compared to most forum members) pretty low mileage, ~128k. thats about all i have to contribute, a confirmed 'bad' master cylinder case.

·
-------------------------
1,983 Posts
My master cylinder is still going strong w/ 162k miles (and working abs). I recently flushed out the entire brake system and it's amazing how crappy the old fluid looks.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Thats exactly what it did Pacallen, it gradually went to the floor with constant pressure so...thats what it is then. What is bench bleeding?
lookup "bench bleeding" on google or google video/youtube. they had a few really helpful ones there.

personally, i went to napa and got me a $7 "bench bleeding kit" (get the metric one for our cars) and routed both tubes back into the master cylinder. i didn't have to remove the m/c from the car tho it was a messy job. and it helps immensely to have a partner but not necessary.

lastly, it helps to use clear tubes in order to see the bubbles/air pockets comingo ut of the master cylinder. the black shit that came with the kit was useless imho.

·
Spiral descent
5,040 Posts
It actually is...but I think due to age and neglect rather than mechanical or design defect lol....the same could be said for any Honda (or any CAR for that matter) of the era...
:werd: Thanks for filling in the blanks for that guy.

Since I've joined the A-L community, most of the G1 faulty brake (M/C related) inquiries are ABS equipped vehicles... but as far as I can remember, I've yet to replace my non-ABS M/C.

Maybe because I flush them hydraulic lines every brake service? :squint:
Most of the G1's still around have ABS, so that is probably why. But I can't remember if I've changed mine. lol

·
Registered
364 Posts
my pedals would also gradually go to the floor with slight pressure but then eventually it got to where there was no pressure! dont let it get that far or youre either ganna have to get it towed or drive at 20 mph and hope that no lights turn red and you dont approach any stop signs lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.