Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· 805 YO
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok on my way home tonight I decided to take a little detour in some twisties. It was great I was having a blast. As I was getting towards the last part which is much faster I noticed that my brakes were not responding the way they should. I got really scared going into a turn because I was basically stomping on the brake pedal and barely slowing down. The pedal began to tighten up and it felt as if the car was not running. I slowed down at this, but could anyone tell me what happened?

Edit: OOOPS haha I meant Brakes. Damn oh well you get the idea.

· Spiral descent
5,040 Posts
Sounds like brake fade to me, which is a very normal thing after heavy braking. What kind of brake setup are you using? If it is brake fade, you can upgrade to slotted and/or cross drilled rotors, and better pads. Most of your braking happens at the front, so just upgrading those should make a big difference.

· Banned
3,429 Posts
SBLEGENDS said:
Ok on my way home tonight I decided to take a little detour in some twisties. It was great I was having a blast. As I was getting towards the last part which is much faster I noticed that my brakes were not responding the way they should. I got really scared going into a turn because I was basically stomping on the brake pedal and barely slowing down. The pedal began to tighten up and it felt as if the car was not running. I slowed down at this, but could anyone tell me what happened?

Edit: OOOPS haha I meant Brakes. Damn oh well you get the idea.
sounds like brake fade. when you brake hard in rapid succession you heat up the brake pad and the contents of the pad start to melt and that causes a lubrication effect of sorts. That makes you feel like even though your stomping on the brake pedal, the car doesn't seem like it wants to slow down.

to combat brake fade you can buy brake pads that have a higher coefficient of friction at higher temperatures.

· Domesticated *******
1,679 Posts
Brake fade man. OEM brakes are bad about this. A couple things you can do as mentioned above is to upgrade your rotor. Get some high grade pads. Upgrade to the Type II calipers (if you don't have them stock) or better yet the NSX calipers. They have built in heat sinks so it will help with the heat. Have a brake flush done as this will help with your pedal feel (does not have anything to do with brake fade though).

· Registered
4,439 Posts
Nobody has mentioned master cylinder. Its rare for the Legends brakes to completely fade. Maybe you lose a little braking, but damn..what was he doing to completely lose them??

Absolutely no fade with the NSX setup though.

· Registered
1,114 Posts
I had that happend to me too even with tpye II calipers. switched my pads and rotors. hasn't happend again. Twisties are so fun

· Acura Junkie
216 Posts
Rumnarv said:
Brake fade man. OEM brakes are bad about this. A couple things you can do as mentioned above is to upgrade your rotor. Get some high grade pads. Upgrade to the Type II calipers (if you don't have them stock) or better yet the NSX calipers. They have built in heat sinks so it will help with the heat. Have a brake flush done as this will help with your pedal feel (does not have anything to do with brake fade though).
NSX calipers fit???

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.