Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Blk/BlkGS6
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, every morning on the way to school during light braking my brakes squeal excessively........................it also sounds like they hit a certain spot with each rotation of the wheel and thats when it squeals.....................i think. so are my pads worn out??
rotors warped??? it doesnt seem to do it in the afternoon........ why is that.....................? i am thinking about gettin brembos and aftermarket pads anyway.............how soon should i do it??
my brakes still seem to have very good stopping power when stomped...............but they feel weak during moderate braking.
maybe its just the weight of the car though................

also i wanted to ask how are the brembos?? how much bigger are they then stock rotors?? are there any other rotors for the legend that are better? can you get 13's...................?

please respond, thanks alot

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I had the same problem with my sedan on Hot days in the summer.... just replace the PADS with OEM ones, not aftermarket... problem went away immediately. :)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Check ur brake fluid to c if it's full. If u r and ur pedal goes almost all the way down, than u do need new pads and if u do i recommend that u go ahead and get them changed b4 u ruin ur rotor.

As for the drilled rotors, I believed they r around 300 bucks for all of them. Go to search forums and type in drilled rotors. Also b aware that when u do get new drilled rotors u need very good pads, u'll find that info when u do the search.

Lastly u can also call around and find a mechanic shop that will inspect the brakes for free. Some places where u get ur oil changes do that. Good luck.

Latin...................................

·
I like shiny
14,417 Posts
Well,

We had that problem with my mom's Legend Sedan. Acura told us it was because the pads were aftermarket, they were new, but aftermarket. We then asked a mechanic friend of ours if there was anything that could be done without getting new pads. He put some sort of grease somewhere. I am not sure where he put it or what the grease acutally was, but it decreased the squeak, once you hit the breaks a few times the squeak goes away.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
There are 2 main reasons brakes will squeal. 1) worn pads down to the sensor device attached to the pad that scrapes the rotor to warn you that you need to check the pads...so check pads (both inner and outer...important!) 2) the use of semimettalic pads vs. OEM organic type pads. High metal content can cause screeching, especially under light braking. The pad is actually vibrating at a very high frequency...placement of brake lube ( or brake squeal eliminator goop) on backs of pads and spring clips dampens the vibration and eliminates the squeal. Semi metallic pads have greater fade resistance than OEM, but are noisier, less effective when cold and wet until heated, and will be more abrasive to your rotors than OEM. Acura pads are crappy and fade fast when hit hard and heated up....I found a good compromise in the Bendix asbestoes free OEM pad....it has both of the best characteristics, even though not a semimettalic pad, it still has around 20% metallic content...(some are as high as 60%). Much better braking than OEM and still quiet...

·
I'm too sexy for my car
2,498 Posts
Good thing you guys pointed that out because within the last couple of days my brakes have been squeaking heavily when I break slowly. I have brembo cross drilled/slotted rotors with PBR brake pads and all were installed about a month and a half ago. I had my mechanic put in some brake grease and it wouldn't squeak for awhile but now the squeaking is back and is really noticeable under light braking but not under quick braking. Is there some kind of grease I can use that'll keep the squeaking away or is this just something i'll have to deal with since they are semi-metallic pads?

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Same problem here, they make the noise on my 1990 and my 1994! When I bought the brakes they come with some grease packet things that you put on, it helps but doesn't last too long. I'm gonna change over to OEM Brake Pads on the 94GS. Anyone know how much Acura Sells them for?

·
Registered
580 Posts
I dont want to sound unfair here, but I have not heard alot about this with new rotors and semi metallic brake pads

I hope this is not the case since I too am getting ready to add on some semi metallic Axxis pads and slotted rotors to my Coupe and pray I do not get this.

James

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
I hate the noise because it makes your car sound like there is something wrong with it, or it is older :(

Same thing with my G1, but my G1 has the added "lifter noise" which is not dangerous, but makes the car sound a lot older in the morning :(

Hey James, any pictures of your Legends, side by side?

·
Blk/BlkGS6
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
but i have the stock OEM (as far as i know) pads and it only happens during the morning or i guess when the brakes are cold..................(still having cold NY winter mornings up here)

i guess ill take it somewhere and see if i can get it checked for free..............even though it was just a few weeks ago when my mechanic told me the brakes were good......................

neway about the brembos, anyone know how much bigger they are compared to stock rotors?? and is there anything better?

thanks for all the answers.............

1 - 10 of 10 Posts