Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a question for you guys. Here's the deal, my brakes work when they want to (most of the time, thankfully). I have checked all the lines, no problems. Bled them, and topped off the fluid. Was wondering if it could be a master cylinder problem or what. Sometimes I will be sitting at a light and the pedal will go to the floor. At this point I can pump the brakes and sometimes it will return to normal operation and sometimes not. Any help will be aprreciated. Sorry for the long post.

:)

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
hey

that's a master cylinder alright.

just get it replaced.
bleed the system w/ new brake fluid.
done.

it's pretty simple.

-jose

·
Registered
270 Posts
I agree... Mine started going last summer... Changed it real quick before it got bad enough to go to the floor !!

Use this time to flush out the system really good... Don't want old fluid slowly eating your new Master Cylinder away !! Sounds like you can even re-build it... If you want to take the chance... Best to replace it as you don't know if there is any damage to the bore...

·
Registered
293 Posts
Master cylinder. I've replaced mine twice due to the same symptoms. Easy to replace but buy an OEM replacement. Trust me on this one. I had a terrible experience with a cheap NAPA part and a rebuilt from Autozone. Both leaked. Finally went to dealer and bought the OEM part and it was perfect.

BTW, be very careful when bench bleeding the MC - do NOT bottom out the piston. That may have contributed to my bad experiences with the 2 leaky MCs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was afraid you were going to say that. Any idea on how much to get it fixed? I don't have the time or skill to do it myself. Plus, I would like it to have some warranty in case it gets bad again. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
well!

Bigdaddysan said:
I was afraid you were going to say that. Any idea on how much to get it fixed? I don't have the time or skill to do it myself. Plus, I would like it to have some warranty in case it gets bad again. Thanks guys.

[email protected]

Sells master cylinders.
I bought one for like $68 bucks (the same one that JC Whitney sells for like $170, those thieves!)...

Try him out.
Not sure if he's still around, but try it out anyways.

-J

·
Registered
293 Posts
Acura brand (Nissin) MC from the dealer is $210. However, my local dealer gave me 20% off making it $170. It comes with a new reservoir and top. Installation is relatively easy but will take some time the first time. Also, bleeding the entire system takes time since you have to pull all the wheels off. If you have time, DIY. I will be happy advise if you decide to do it yourself.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
dont do that

Rick90Legend said:
Acura brand (Nissin) MC from the dealer is $210. However, my local dealer gave me 20% off making it $170. It comes with a new reservoir and top. Installation is relatively easy but will take some time the first time. Also, bleeding the entire system takes time since you have to pull all the wheels off. If you have time, DIY. I will be happy advise if you decide to do it yourself.
rip off and a half.

·
Registered
293 Posts
To each his own Jose. I don't think we need to make judgments in this forum. We each offer advice and each can take it or leave it but it should be up to that individual.

After installing 2 leaky MCs and being without the car for 1.5 weeks, the Acura MC was a deal.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Buy your M/C from a good aftermarket supplier and if you go to a shop, it won't cost more than 1 hr. labour to get it done... plus shop supplies, of course... A good shop will also get rid of most of the old fluid as well... Not to hard, you just have to open the bleeders at the wheels and let it drip out... Make SURE it gets done!!!! You don't want old fluid screwing up your new M/C.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
hey

Rick90Legend said:
To each his own Jose. I don't think we need to make judgments in this forum. We each offer advice and each can take it or leave it but it should be up to that individual.

After installing 2 leaky MCs and being without the car for 1.5 weeks, the Acura MC was a deal.
no no, no attack on you.

for me, it was a $68 dollar part and an hour and a half of work plus the fluid ... in all, like $150-160 to replace.

just FYI...
I know there are some shady dealers / mechanics out there.

Some guy wanted to tell me it'd cost me $200 to replace the master cylinder, when I was originally thinking about it. I was like , "HA!", and just left.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts