Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 88 Legend a few months back, I live in the UK so we have incredibly expensive insurance here so I'll be saving for a while yet.

The tappits in the Legend are making a real loud noise which is a problem with all the ones I've seen so far, is there any stuff you can get that actually works to soften the noise? My friend who co-owns the car got some oil a while back but it made no difference at all.

Also I'd really like to lower the car, is it possible to do this yourself with pretty basic mechanical skills or do you need to get it done and if so how much is it likely to cost? Also I've scraped the exhaust under the engine a few times going over speed bumps causing it to dent (what a dumb place to put the exhaust pipe) so perhaps I shouldn't? I'd really appreciate some advice from people who have similar concerns or advice about the G1 Legend.....cheers!

One final thing - would it cost a bomb to get the engine totally reconditioned?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Hello, and welcome to the forum.

The tappets can be quieted by changing to a thinner (5W-30) oil. In addition, a product such as Engine Restore can be added. As for lowering the car, it is rather difficult to do yourself. A spring compressor is needed, and the installation might set you back about $150 (can anyone confirm this?).

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Hey Vince,

What's the suggested oil in the manual ( I don't have it for my G1 ) Is it 5w-30?

My dad has been putting 10w I think. Can 5w be purchased anywhere as well?

I hate that darn tapping noise :(

·
Registered
157 Posts
Tappets: You may wish to run Automatic transmission fluid through for about 15 minutes next time you change the oil, (pour it in, run it and then change the oil - about a 1/2 quart) this helps clean the gunk out.

When you refill the oil, you can put Engine Restore (which I use) or Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) which others use and it makes a significant difference...

Lowering springs: you can do it yourself IFF you have air tools and a spring compressor (you need to air tools to run the spring compressor down). Otherwise, you can pull the strut towers out pretty easily and take them to a shop and they will swap for you for a small fee and then you reinstall.

Welcome to the club!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the much needed info!
I'll change the oil once I get a free weekend and also the transmission fluid.
Is replacing the strut towers an easy alternative to replacing Lowering springs?

I've seen the pictures of your car, it looks smart, I can also see why you have a plank of wood supporting the hood, it nearly took my head off once when I was replacing the spark plugs.

·
Registered
157 Posts
fokiohero said:
Thanks for the much needed info!
I'll change the oil once I get a free weekend and also the transmission fluid.
Is replacing the strut towers an easy alternative to replacing Lowering springs?
The towers are the entire assembly, spring and strut together. So if you pull the tower off and take the strut and spring to a tire shop, they will swap all the parts for you.

I've seen the pictures of your car, it looks smart, I can also see why you have a plank of wood supporting the hood, it nearly took my head off once when I was replacing the spark plugs.
Well, now I use my needle nose vise grips - bumped the piece of wood once and about got clobbered so I decided that weren't too smart.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reply,
I had a look at pictures of your legend, very nice!
I have an 88 coupe and I wish the paintwork was as good - is it a paintjob you have done yourself? - I haven't seen the color before.
Also the FAQ you have is very interesting, I believe I have the LS model, everything but the passenger power seat, I'll post pictures of mine on a site once I've sorted out the rust problems, I have a silver legend but I'm thinking of respraying it Black.

Clear corner lights come as standard here so people interested may also think of importing through a UK scrap-merchant.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts