Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
9,369 Posts
eric76mi said:
when I hit my breaks they feel soft until I pump them. Now I know that it means that they need to be bleed(or so I think) I havent bleed breaks in about 10 years so can I get a little help?
Here is what I would do as a start.

Frist I would go ahead and get some new brake pads and rotors since it would be very easy to install them while doing this and help you out greatly.

1) get all 4 wheels of the car off the ground and the wheels off.

At this piont all you need is a basic socket set, 6" C clamp, and an impact screwdriver to change the pads and rotors.

2) Drain out your brake resivour.

3) Fill the resivour with new fluid.

4) Get an empty bottle and a clear hose that will fit the bleader valve.

5) Get a wrench around the bleader valve and then put the clear tube on and put the other end in the empty bottle.

6) Get someone to push the brake pedal down. Then open the bleader valve. When the fluid stops tighten the valve and tell the other person to let off the brakes. Once the pedall is all the way up repeat. Keep going until you see only clear fluid, and no air, in the clear line. Make sure to start at the rear drivers wheel, then the rear passenger wheel, then the front pass wheel, and finally the front drivers wheel. Also make sure you check the fluid in the resivour to keep it full. If you ever let the resivour go empty, or the person releases the brakes before you have closed the bleeder valve, you have to start all over.

If this does not fix your problem you have a serious leek in your breaking system.

Later!
Lee

· Registered
638 Posts
sure you dont have a break booster leak? it will make your breaks spongy.
i believe the method of figuring this out is to press on your pedel untill its stiff while the car is running, then turn the car off and see if it stays stiff, if it doesnt its a bad breakbooster/leak
atleast i think thats the way the test works... look into it :)

· Registered
486 Posts
eric76mi said:
If I push the pedal down and hold it there it goes soft in seconds, unless I pump them. I heard that this might be a Master cyl internal leak.
soft meaning it will go to the floor unless you pump it, or soft like it is spongy but never goes all the way to the floor? If it goes to the floor then it is a faulty MC or a leak somewhere. The MC is easy to replace if it is that. I would first bleed the system before replacing the MC though just to make sure it is not air.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if i hit the breaks they will go to the floor unless i pump them then it stops fine. and something else i noticed when i turn the car off the pedal goes rock hard. the fluid level is fine ad not leaking anywhere.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.