Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally had some time today, so I installed my Brembo drilled/slotted rotors that I got from Elvis in that group buy last year. It was a straight forward job, and it took me about 2.5 hours by myself. I also was thinking about installed my new EBC pads on the front and rear as well today, but I decided to wait a week or two until all the CAD plating on the rotor surface wears off. Then I will put the EBC brake pads on.

·
GS Hog
7,026 Posts
I was installing my rotors today too. :) Dammit! I should have thougth of keeping my old pads on there until the plating wears off. That's what took me so long: Trying to get the calipers to fit over the pads. It took me so much time that I only got to do the fronts. Got to do the rears tomorrow. My new pads are EBC too.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Wellcome to the EBC family:D

I'm now waiting for my pads to wear out so that I can switch to the brembos:D

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
claus44 said:
Wellcome to the EBC family:D

I'm now waiting for my pads to wear out so that I can switch to the brembos:D
Yes, I've been using the EBC GreenStuff on my wifes 95 LS Coupe on the stock rotors for a while now, and I like these pads so far. I can't wait to try them on my new rotors. :)

·
Registered
847 Posts
That was both to your Legend and Graeme:D

Knew that your wife's Legend has been running the EBC for a while already and that's why you want them as well:D

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
It must be Brembo week:D

I just installed my Brembo X drilled/sloted rotors on Sunday. Did you guys have any problems taking the caliper brackets off? Those bolts would not come off for the life of me, so I had to go to the parts store and get a 20 inch breaker bar to get them off.

3 hrs and 3 broken screw drivers and countless cuts and bruises on my hand, I have brembo:)

·
Registered
123 Posts
I heard somewhere that a speacial machine is needed to remove our stock rotors is there any truth to this..

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
LGNDPRINCE said:
I heard somewhere that a speacial machine is needed to remove our stock rotors is there any truth to this..
All you need is different size sockets, 14mm and 17mm. A very sterdy screw driver or impact driver, and a whole lot of Muscle, and I mean a WHOLE LOT. Get a breaker bar if you have to.

·
GS Hog
7,026 Posts
Get an impact driver if you don't have one. It'll make the job so much easier, and you don't risk stripping the screw head.

You will also need two 8mm bolts to remove the disk. You insert these bolts into each of two threaded holes and tighten to push/pull the disk off.

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I used an impact driver. IF you don't know what that is, it is a big screwdriver looking thing that you hit the end with a hammer or mallot, and that slowly turns some gearing that makes the screw bit turn to loosen tight bolts. Anyway, the 17mm is used to remove the brake braker bolts, 14mm for the removal of the front brake calipers, and 12mm for the rear brake calipers. Also, you need a 12mm bolt to use as a back off screw. I had thought the screws used to hold in the rotor would work, but it is 10mm and the back out holes are 12mm. I ended up using a 12mm bolt that holds the OEM stut brace down, but because of all the rust on the rotors, I ended up stripping the bolt, so I need a new one now. Also, I did have a breaker bar, so that makes life much easier as well.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
DSCLegend94 said:
Is there are reason why you guys are waiting for the CAD platting to wear off?? Does it damage the new pads??
yeah i was gonna ask the same thing....i thought the point of the plating was to keep the rotors looking silver and not allow the rust to form on it? If it wears off then theres no point in paying extra to plate the rotors right?

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
HATE_ME_NOW said:

yeah i was gonna ask the same thing....i thought the point of the plating was to keep the rotors looking silver and not allow the rust to form on it? If it wears off then theres no point in paying extra to plate the rotors right?
The CAD plating is for keeping the parts of the rotor that DO NOT touch the brake pad from rusting. In this case, it would be the drilled holes, the vents, and so forth. However, the CAD plating is also all over the rotor surface where the friction of the brake pad will eventually wear them off, You really don't want that CAD plating on the rotor surface anyway, as it decreases braking power. I'm simply using my old stock pads to wear off that CAD plating, as I didn't want my new EBC pads to have to do the dirty work :) I'm sure it really doesn't matter which pads do it, as eventually it will all be scraped clean from the pad and rotor. I guess the CAD plating proccess is simply easier to dip, or spray (However they do it) the entire rotor, rather than try and mask off the rotor surface.

·
Registered
671 Posts
when they plate rotors, the whole thing gets plated. when brakes are applied to the braking surface, any substance that is on there will come off in a relatively short amount of time...the whole reason you get them plated is to protect the part of the rotors that are not braking surfaces. if you look at what i circled in the pictures i have attached below, that is the part i am talking about. the plating keeps this part from rusting...

wally

G

·
Does anyone know where we can get Stainless steel brake lines? I heard that some of guys were getting these a while ago as part of a group buy for $80 I think.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I've recently been hearing alot of hype over these EBC pads. How do they compare to Axxis in respect to performance?

If someone can give me some more details on these pads I would appreciate it. I've been using a set of Axxis metalmasters for almost a year now on my stock rotors and love the performance of them and am really happy.

G

·
Registered
847 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts