Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I can hear my rear brakes starting to go, but this time around I want to switch to Brembos all the way around. What Brembos will I need exactly (model number?), and where can I get them?

Then, are there some specific kind of brake pads that I need to work with them, could someone explain brake pads to me? Thanks.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Brembo does not list x-drill rotors for the legend as they only make "solid" ones. Everyone on the forum has gotten them from Elvis or Mr. Wood and either person will x-drill and slot the rotor for you.

I bought mine from Mr. Wood with the CAD plating on them so they would not rust, I also got the PBR brake pads and Stanless Steel brake lines. For the rotors I think I paid like $225, Pads $85 and Lines were like $85.(I think it was about 5 months ago and I still have not installed them as I installed new rotors last summer, but the deal was too good to past up, So I will install these this summer).

Mr. Wood can be contacted at www.raceconcepts.com or can be e-mailed at [email protected].

Good Luck

·
Registered
307 Posts
I disagree with EyeCandy. Brembo DOES make cross drilled rotors for the Legend (non-GS sedan and LS coupe). I think you have an LS coupe right?

In fact, the rotors that Brembo makes are either cross drilled or slotted. They are available for sale at Brembo's site. I'll list the info:

94 - 95 Legend L and LS Sedan

P/N FD00022 Front Cross Drilled $239
P/N FS00022 Front Slotted $239

And you can order directly from the site.

Their URL is http://www.brembo.com

Click on the link for online store, then click on the link for Auto Brake System and you can do a search for the different applications that they carry.

The brembo rotors come plated already :).

As for your question about stainless steel braided lines? The advantage to having SS lines is on the track. For everyday usage, you won't get much improvement in brake feel. The advantage to having SS lines over the regular "rubber" lines is that the the SS lines don't expand as much under heavy braking and therefore minimizes "brake fade". For street use, having them won't help much. However, there are some members that swear they have better brake feel. If it was me, I wouldn't spend my money on it.

The rotors that you can get from Mr. Wood are cross drilled and slotted. I think that's the direction I'm going to go with.

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,943 Posts
The listing on Brembos website must be fairly new, as Eyecandy was right that Brembo never made drilled rotors for the Legend, as all where 3rd party drilled solid Brembo OEM Legend replacements before. If they are now selling them it has only been within this year, and maybe the saw the demand for it.

·
Registered
847 Posts
SushiLicious said:
As for your question about stainless steel braided lines? The advantage to having SS lines is on the track. For everyday usage, you won't get much improvement in brake feel. The advantage to having SS lines over the regular "rubber" lines is that the the SS lines don't expand as much under heavy braking and therefore minimizes "brake fade". For street use, having them won't help much. However, there are some members that swear they have better brake feel. If it was me, I wouldn't spend my money on it.
Well, think of it this way. The lines on our cars are around(or over) 10 years old already~ That's kinda scary if you ask me... Just like all other brake component upgrades, I bought my SS lines a fews days ago thinking of it as extra insurance.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So are you saying that there is a difference in the brakes between the 94 Coupe L & LS. This just doesn't seem right to me, as it isn't listed in the 95 brochure :-\.
94 - 95 Legend L and LS Sedan

P/N FD00022 Front Cross Drilled $239
P/N FS00022 Front Slotted $239
Now I was under the assumption that the 94 - 95 Legend L and LS Sedan's had smaller rotors and calipers than the 94-95 coupes and GS's. (I think the 93 coupes may have bigger ones too)

Also it says front drilled as one, and then slotted as another. Can't you get slotted & cross drilled at the same time?

Could somebody please clarify? Thanks.

·
Registered
847 Posts
type II's have thicker rotors, that's why they specify that the rotors are only for the 94-95 sedans.

the factory brembo only offers x-drilled or slotted, they don't offer an application for both "x-drilled and slotted". Brembo believes that having one of them is enough, and having both will seriously reduce the surface area/performance.

If you want the x-drilled & slotted rotors, you will have to purchase them from 3rd party sellers.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
I didn't know TypeIIs had thicker rotors. I have a GS, any other differences in the braking system? Once I heard something about dual pistons in the front? What would that be for? more even pressure?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So then is it a bad thing to get Cross Drilled & Slotted rotors, or does Brembo not know what they are talking about :-\. It seems like Brembo would be the authority on this, but then again you guys have actually done it sooo..... :confused:

Thanks you guys.

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,943 Posts
FutureX 2001 said:
I didn't know TypeIIs had thicker rotors. I have a GS, any other differences in the braking system? Once I heard something about dual pistons in the front? What would that be for? more even pressure?
The TYPE II cars which include the 94-95 GS Sedan, and all 93-95 Coupes have 5mm thicker front rotors and dual piston front calipers. The other Legends have a single piston front caliper.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I got my Brembo's off of Ebay about four months ago. They are gunuine brembo as well.
About the ss break lines- where have you guys gotten them? Are they a pain to install?

thanks

·
I'm too sexy for my car
2,498 Posts
Does anyone know where we can get the brake lines because I was thinking about getting mines replace and is it a long process to install?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Can you use the stock pads with the new brembo rotors? Cause I just got new pads in the front a while ago, but it's my rear ones that are gonna start going out soon. Thanks.

·
Registered
917 Posts
you should use new pads whether they are oem or aftermarket, when you change your rotors. no matter how new your pads are now, they are seated to the surface of your current rotor, if you really wanted to reuse them, you would need to sand them smooth.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I just got my Goodridge SS lines(lifeline warranty) from Stillen. However, that was the last set they had and they have no idea when they can restock them since GoodRidge lines are made to order. Another place you can purchase them from is www.nipponpower.com or if you want cheaper SS lines, you can get the JG Edelbrock/Russel lines from www.optauto.com . I can't find the SMC application anymore, but they should be pretty good if you can find them.

I haven't installed my lines yet since finals week is coming up and I have several projects to work on. I will be installing them 2 weeks later and will let you guys know how it is.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts