Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it no surprise that the CL is doing so poorly in sales? That car has the dynamic looks of a bar of soap! When I pull up to a CL or TL in traffic I am in no way jealous of that worked-over Accord sitting next to me. I have been driving around alot lately and I recieve at least two compliments a day on my ride! Jeez, I have owned it two years now, and I just started getting so many compliments on it. If I had a CL or TL I doubt this would happen. And, most compliments from people that don't normally pay attention to cars end in " is that a 2002?" This says something to me....Honda should dust off the Legend presses, change it to a RWD layout, include the 6-speed with the VTEC V-6, and slightly freshen a few things (please ignore the Accord this time Honda!) and sell it as a 2004. I believe a recycled Legend is far nicer than this crap they are trying to lay on us now....What do you guys think?

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
There's no way Honda would ignore the Accord. It's their top selling car I think, besides the Civic.

Yes, the new Acura stylings are not as good as our Legend styling. If the car was "Modernized" a bit as i've said before, I think it would be a hit. The Legend 3rd Generation (RL) is no comparison for our 2nd Gen. The "new" RL which will get a V8 is likely to cost a lot, LOT more, who knows what they'll do with the styling for it, hopefully they'll wake up and at least make it look nice!

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I agree guys.

I have no idea what Acura executives (or assholes!!!) were smoking when they decided to end Legend and come out with 1996 RL!!!!
I mean in 1995 we had this great car called Legend and the then in 1996 they come out with this embarrassment called RL!!!
"How to ruin your successful company the fastest possible way" - Acura should write a book on this!

I'm hoping and praying that they get some sense and come out with a great next gen RL!!

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
I think the change even though an un-popular one (at least with me), is because the Legend was suppose to be the flagship car. It was mid-priced. Now that other flag ship cars are running V8s and such, I guess they started to figure that they needed to drop in a V8, and to do that they're going to have to start charging "flagship" car prices. Could be, don't know :confused:

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I agree FutureX.

The question is why has it taken them so long? I feel pity for RL. This poor car competes in no class! Its a great car no doubt but needs a V8. And trust me, people will pay those V8 prices.

I really wonder why it has taken so long for Acura to realize this!
Anyways, I'm hoping for the best!

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have heard from acura staff that the reason they stop making them is b/c they only like to do car models only for several yrs (ie. 7 - 9yrs). Same hapenned to integras, now they r gone, and became RSX :rolleyes:. Never the less they did mess up by stoping making the legends :(. I got to admit though, the RL is a nice piece of machine, but no I wouldn't trade it in for my GS.

Latin.................

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Latin, but the RSX is simply the newest generation Integra. Same goes for the RL it is the newest generation Legend. They still call them Integra and Legend in Japan. The only one that really has died is the Prelude.

Anyways, yes, they re-styled the car completely and unwisely in my opinion. The changes are too radical, let's hope they start doing better soon!

G

·
Well the prelude if you think about it though was kinda replaced with the S2000, cause the prelude was Honda's sports car and then the S2000 just kinda blew it away, and plus if you think about it the prelude was a pretty pointless car due to the fact that it was so similar to the Integra/RSX. BTW, I hate what Acura has done with their cars. The only one that I even like is the new NSX. I don't understand why they didn't keep the stylings or close to with the RL and make a coupe version that looked like it and throw a V8 in both, people would have paid. I mean look at the 1995 Legend Coupe, then look at the 1996 Acura CL :rolleyes:. What the f uck was Acura smoking?!?! The 96-99 CL had to be Acura's ugliest car ever! The only one that I would be embarrased to drive.

·
Registered
655 Posts
honda prelude is an awesome car,

I would take a prelude over an integ gsr anyday, they handle awesome but r discontinued because of low sales. I think they messed up with the 5th gen style though most people had to "learn" to like the style it was so out of the norm at the time.They were also too expensive, for the misinformed it doesn't sound like a good deal at 24k. I mean domestic v8 were in same price range with less costly repairs, The 93-95 vtecs were fast at
0-60 in 6.5 secs.They should have spent less money on current design style and engine, and instead modified 4th gen style and modified 3.0 accordv6 and sqeeze out 20-30hp to get 230 (350z/maxima) and bumped price to 26k. Not that there is anything wrong with 5th gen, just that it didn't respond well to buyers in a market where displacement is always rising, even though it will beat most other v6s with a 4 cyl. Like mustang, camaro,mx6,probe,cougar, 98celica etc...

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, the 4th gen prelude was more interesting than the 5th gen. My friend recently sold his 1992 Si Auto for a 2001 5 speed. We installed the Jackson Racing S/C, and the car is wicked fast. But he misses his G4. The G5 lacks the style of the G4 for sure, but I see it as very retro. The G5 looks so much like a smoothed-over modernized G2 and G3. The hood is the same style as the G2 and G3, if you yanked those strange headlights you could easily integrate some good ol' 1980's style flip-up headlights. The dash is similar to a 1989 Accord LXi I used to have. Also, those swept 5 spoke wheels are just like the 90-91 Si's!! And the side view and rear view of the G5 is so similar in style to the G3. So, I agree the G4 is a more engaging car, but I really liked the G2 and G3 so much that the G5 wins my admiration also, only because I am partial to 90's style Hondas. Ooops, babbling again! Well, I guess most people did not appreciate a G5 Prelude like I do! Woah, forgot to take my pills, later!!

·
I'm too sexy for my car
2,498 Posts
Those execs at Acura don't know what they are doing. Everytime I go to the Acura dealership, I get complimented on my car so much and I remember one time when I first got my car, I went to the dealership and parked the car where they keep most of their used car and as I come out I see 3 people looking and drooling all over my car as if it were for sale and when I walked up to the car and started it they were like nice. And just the other day a guy asked me what year my Legend was and I said a 93 and he was like nice, and that his daughter has been asking him for one and then he asked me if I was selling it and I said NO. :D

·
I'm too sexy for my car
2,498 Posts
FutureX 2001 said:
That's what I like about Legends. They are true Legends, they earned their name long ago.
You got that right. And the funny thing, the reason I got addicted to Legends is because when I was looking for an expedition and didn't get approved for a loan, my mothers friend said theres a nice Legend out in Brooklyn which was a champagne color and I was like aight whatever lets go look at it and when we get there I just started really paying attention to them and when we get there I saw it was a 96 RL, and the car did look kinda nice but too bland. So after that I got home got on the computer and My hunt for my Legend started. Just because he put the name Legend in my head, it stuck with me thereafter.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Destiny!

The first time I got into Legends was when doing research on one, my oldest uncle had just gotten a 1987 Coupe. The more I researched them, and looked at it, the more I wanted one...!

·
Registered
864 Posts
I could be wrong (not likely but...) LoL, anyways, i heard that Acura dropped the Legend's nameplate cus people were remembering the car as a Legend, (...the huge label on the back of the G1's) and not as an Acura. People would say "ahh, check out that Legend!" not "ahh, check out that Acura" as i said, im not sure if this is the real reason. but i can kinda understand it. People refer to my car as a "Legend" not as an Acura. But yah. my mom mentioned something about Honda or Acura comming out (or re-designing) something that had the similar lines of the G2 Legends. Anyone know anything bout that????

-bryan

·
I'm too sexy for my car
2,498 Posts
legend2die4 said:
I could be wrong (not likely but...) LoL, anyways, i heard that Acura dropped the Legend's nameplate cus people were remembering the car as a Legend, (...the huge label on the back of the G1's) and not as an Acura. People would say "ahh, check out that Legend!" not "ahh, check out that Acura" as i said, im not sure if this is the real reason. but i can kinda understand it. People refer to my car as a "Legend" not as an Acura. But yah. my mom mentioned something about Honda or Acura comming out (or re-designing) something that had the similar lines of the G2 Legends. Anyone know anything bout that????

-bryan
From what everyone hears, this is one of the main reasons they badged the Legends RL's. Just so people can say I have an Acura RL rather than just saying I have a Legend.

G

·
I think that that is kinda ghetto though. Legend was such a cool name for a car, and if it ain't broke, why fix it. I mean the name was working for them and if they were going to change the styling then they should have kept going in the same direction instead of coming out with the boring RL :(

·
Registered
864 Posts
SERIOUSLY!!!

Im sure Acura feels kinda retarted now. Im not sure but i dont think the RL's or TL's sell half as well. Im sure Acura is regretting it. But oh well. And for some reason, i think it may come back. call me crazy... but i gots faith!

-bryan

1 - 20 of 25 Posts