Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently noticed a slight "buzzin" sound coming from the back of my car under acceleraction. You really have to listen for it to notice but it's there. I thought I had an exhaust leak from the rear between flanges but my exhaust shop checked and found no leaks. They heard this buzzin sound coming from the muffler itself. They took a rubber mallot and banged at the muffler from underneath and you can hear some crap jigglin around in there!

Remus has a 3-year warranty on their mufflers, I got mine in October, however I was told from the guy who installed it for me that warranty will not help my case as I was running it WITHOUT any cats, just straight pipe. He said this caused extreme amounts of heat and unburnt fuel and stuff to deteriorate the fibreglass within the muffler.

DO you think this is the case? That running no-cat can ruin a performance muffler? Somehow I'm having a hard time swallowing this. He said that mufflers have to run with some sort of cat or you'll be ruining them.

I don't know if I should contact Remus directly (anyone know their website?) or if I should accept the fact that I abused my muffler :confused:

G

·
Registered
614 Posts
I too am running no cat... And have not noticed any buzzing sound in my remus.. but the cat will be going back on this weekend when i get my 90k service.

·
I'van der Rohe
12,803 Posts
this isn't to far fetched as cats do get upto 1500 degrees and with that temp they clean the exhaust and burn the unburned fuel that could cause the prob. with out this device you leave all engine by-products to enter the muffler. this could cause a build up of debris. also the unburned fuel get that could leave the engine is left to go through the pipe, when hot the pipe can light the fuel and cause the flame to trail through to the muffler singeing the sound deadening material which can harden and then vibrate. then again you could have a loose heat shield but hey if you want to run no cats thas on you. the cat in the legend is pretty free flowing.

·
Registered
327 Posts
One of my friends with a civic si did that with a greddy and he did it straight pipe and the same thing happened after 6 months. He though it was his car running to lean do to a performance chip, but he called Greddy and they told him to send it back and they would replace it (but he did not say nothing about the pipe or chip) so they sent him a new one (he had to leave a deposit so they would ship it out to him and then he would send his back for a refund of deposit), but when they got his back they knew EXACTLY what he was doing and they still gave him back his deposit, but told him that this new one had NO Warranty and they sounded like they did not want to give him back his deposit, but then changed there mine for some reason. (he bought his first one from them directly so maybe if you bought it from a REMUS dealer they would be willing to do it once for you)

OFF TOPIC:
We got to hook up soon, maybe by mid - end of May (my car is falling apart with people hitting it and driving away, but I would still want to hook up with the TO CREW. I'm sure Jason is up for it.

GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Here is Remus contact info

Remus Innovation
Dr.--Nierderdorfer-Strabe 25, A-8572 Barnbach
Tel. +43-3142-6900-0, Fax +43-3142-6900-291
[email protected] www.remus.at

Distribution USA: Claus Ettensberger Corportation
16200 South Figueroa Street, Gardena, California 90248
Phone: (800( 766-0064, Fax: (310) 329-3159