Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got done wiring the bumper turn signals as fogs/driving lights. I followed the legend tuner recipie, but it didn't go exactly to plan. I think Australian signal lenses might be wired differently to yours, because the instructions said the corner turn indicator is permanantly illuminated when the lights are on, and flashes when the indicator is used. Not over here.
I've ended up wiring the bumper lights into the corner driving lights, and the wiring at least works well.
It was very easy to do as you can use crimp on spade connectors for the relays (tip - you can use the more common SPDT relays, the SPST ones anren't common), and t-connectors in the signal housing = no soldering. Tip - the instructions say to cut the wiring harness to the bumper signals and solder the new wires to the lamp harness - it's easier if you unclip the entire connector and stow it in the bumper in case you want to go back to stock, and use female spade connectors on the terminals of the turn signal itself.

I'm going to follow that headlight polishing DIY on the signal lense covers as they are almost opaque, I'll take a few pics when I'm done.

rich

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
pics...

Here's some pics of the bumper fogs for anyone interested in this mod. I polished the lens covers (and have included a before after comparison shot), and it's well worth the elbow grease - they look brand new and really brighten up the front of the car.

Cleaning lenses.
1. remove the lens assembly from the bumper with the two screws. remove the screws completely.
2. gently pull the lens away from the metal housing being carefull not to damage the rubbber gasket.
3. Clean the lens in warm soapy water then rub with wettened 600 grade wet/dry sandpaper. Keep going until there are no surface blemishes when dry.
4. buff with 1200-2000 grade paper until uniformly opaque.
5. use a polish or swirl remover to buff clear.
6. brand new-looking lenses!

It's dark now and the standard 21watt bulbs in the bumper look really bright - similar to the low beams- I might still hunt round for some brighter bulbs though. Take a look at these pics and let me know what you think.

http://www.webphotos.com/list_photos_edit.asp?mi=1&smi=1&a=62220

cheers

richard

Attachments

·
1990 Legend
214 Posts
I wired my bumper lights to be on all the time with a switch also, but even with the stock wattage bulbs in there I melted the light housing a bit which made it leak a little. Watch out for overheating :eek:

·
Registered
602 Posts
Did you pull the blubs from behind your amber on the corners?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts