Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 89 coupe L and the previous owner must've been a gorilla.

I can't lock the drivers door with the key because the cylinder just spins. I can usually unlock it with the key but if I press too hard it'll turn over that way too. The lock actuators work fine with the buttons.

Is there a repair for this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
how big of a gorilla?

I'm not much larger than a chimpanzee, but I doubt it was my brut force that made the door locks "go south". In fact with my 88' legend LS coupe, I found that by taking the panels off the door(s) the functionality was restored. You are probably correct in assuming it's the actuators because coupe doors get quite a bit of abuse due to its sheer weight and complexity. Well, taking the panels off is not really a solution at all. With my car, I found that the threaded rod that the door lock plunger(knobby thing that rises and falls when you lock and unlock the door) was not either strong enough to go up and down on it's own or was blocked by something. I simply removed the plunger and the locking and unlocking mechanism worked fine. This presents yet another problem.......getting trapped inside the car w/o electricity leaves you no way of manually unlocking the door(s). If you have crank style windows....ur okay, but if ur set up is via an electric switch, u can be held hostage in ur own car! If removing the plastic plunger doesn't help, then take off the threaded rod that the plunger sits on. It's held in by a plastic clip with a lever at the end of it.

The recommended thing to do is go to an auto window/door repair shop. You really don't have it all that bad in comparison to my woes: broken master console switches, no defrost capabilities on my mirrors, window regulator snapped in two. Why don't I get rid of the entire door all together!!

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.