Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this was discussed to some extent before, but i'd like to hear some tips on buying a legend from a private owner and also from a dealership. What are the important steps I need to follow?

I might be pretty close to buying my first legend :)

Thanks!

·
502MotorSports.com
9,321 Posts
1 - get the vin# and run a carfax
2 - make a decison based on the history if this is what you want to invest in
3 - find out maintenance history - 60K DONE, 90K DONE, ETC.
4 - if these services not done, inspect the engine even more thoroughly for coolant (which may be gone if they cleaned it off) and signs of blown head gaskets....radiators for Honda need to be replaced at or around 90-100K

The rest is on you....does the car look well maintianed, OR treated like a beater.

Bring us any info you have, we can help you out!

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. If it's a private owenr's car, do you think I need to inspect it at a dealership ? How much would something like that cost? Do they do a good job?

·
Premium Member
9,173 Posts
my test?

Drive the car like you don't own it, before you buy. I won't buy something that won't move when I push the gas pedal. If you want to find out if something is broken, make sure you take it for a nice long drive to really find out if you're gonna love the car or not.

The only problem is it's so easy to fall in love with them.

If you want an inspection done for free, test drive it to a local Goodyear service center, or NTB. Tell them that you think something's wrong with your car, and let them check it for free. :D good luck!

Mike

·
Registered
744 Posts
shahavchik

If you are not mechanically inclined... my biggest concern would be

has the vehicle's timing belt, tensioner, water pump, and drive belts (usually performed at 90K service) been replaced.

AND EQUALLY IMPORTANT

would be the egine's cooling.

Without question, have the owner drive the vehicle for a good hour with you as a passenger. Just 30 minutes out and back, have him or her accelerate the vehicle multiple times from a stop and have them apply the brakes - look closely to the steering wheel for shimmy.

The time will account for engine cooling issues, so pay attention to the guage.

Applying the brakes from highway speeds to zero will account for warped discs.

Accelerate the vehicle in all gears and pay attention to hard kicks from the transmission.

Your best bet would be to pay $79.00 for a complete work up on the vehicle from Acura. Tell them you are interesting in buying the vehicle and they will check all of the above.

FYI, in addition to carfax, if you know where the vehicle has been kept - call the local acura dealer and give them the last 5 digits of the vin and they can tell you what it has been for.

Good luck.

I'm sure there are other issues - so Chime in everyone.

OH, BTW - look at the inner fender liners for tire rubbing or tire impact - and check all of the obvious electrical accessories.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts