Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, finally my time comes to buy a new digital camera. I never own one, so I wanted to get one that is nice and affordable. Price range is 400-800. I already searched many internet review site, and now is kinda confused which one to buy. I would like to get some of the nifty manual setting, etc.

So, what is your opinion on these cameras:
Minolta Dimage 5
Minolta Dimage 7i
Sony Cybershot DSC-F707
Olympus C-720UZ

I know, the cheapest being the Dimage 5, because it is kinda outdated, and only had 3 megapixels, but it's not bad, considering you can get it less than 500. And the Olympus is about at the direct competition with the Dimage 5.

The Dimage 7i and DSC-F707 is at about $700-750, and both has 5 megapixels.

So, if you're me, what do you think? which one should I get???? Thanks.

·
Registered
541 Posts
well i have no idea because my price range was 2-300 but from what i learned when shopping for the "lesser" cameras, i learned that Sony as well as Olympus are great cameras.

·
Registered
685 Posts
well I loved my Hewlitt Packard (sp) 318, it was 2.9 mp, and the resolution was great on it. I have heard good things about Olympus, I dont know much about sony tho. Digi cams are a difficult thing to find info on, I know, I bought my HP off of a hunch, and thank god the hunch turned out to be right.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
From what I've been told it's all in your needs, what your going to be using it for, computer projects/travel/recreational purposes etc. get one that fits whatever need, No, I can't tell you whose better sorry, I'm more of an analog camera guy if you will, I'd suggest you go to a camera shop and talk to one of the guys there, tell them what your main useage of the camera will be and they will be more than happy to direct you to the best one in your price range. Oh don't foreget to add memory/batteries/power pac/etc to the price most digi cam will not come with that stuff so you will spend 400-800 +

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I like my bro's Nikon Cool Pix 995. Real clean and easy to use.
On ebay they are always getting tons of bids from buyers, tells you how hot these things are.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Im waiting on the nikon cp 4500 to go down in price. The 995 takes awsome pix but just wanted the newest one. But all the ones on your list i would take anyday. Only other camera i might add would be the canon G2.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Already looked around at the G2, I think it's kinda overpriced. About the same performance as the Dimage S404, but with about 200 dollar more to spend. That is why, now, I'm kinda confused, whether should I go to the bigger size (SLR-like) body, or just compact size. What do you think?

·
GS Hog
7,026 Posts
FWIW, when I was shopping for a digital camera, most of the roads I took led me to the Canon PowerShot S30 (S40 is similar, but I figured that the S30 at 3.2 mega pixels was all I needed). It takes great pictures, and enough functions to keep things interesting. ;)

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep, I'm starting about getting the ultra-compact camera now. Like the S40 or the DSC-P9. It is nice, small and convenient to carry around.

Thanks a lot, keep them coming, needs more thoughts from you all with digital camera.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.