Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having absolutely no luck with carz these days. Head Gasket repair next week. I get a cd changer that does not work when it is cold. Acura washes my car this morning, my gas lid freezes shut, and now it wont close after I pried it open.

Back to my Q..

My front right bose speaker has this horrible buzz coming from it. It went to Acura today. I told them to look at the amp as a possible problem, because they had just fixed it under recall, and it was working before then. They replaced all of the amp modules again, and it still buzzed. The wires for the amp and deck were connected together with clips, because it was re-installed. That is what they are saying the problem could be. Then they are saying the head unit. And lastly the speaker.

All of the Bose stuff worked before I took it out of my car in July. It is all back in now, and it is just the one speaker. It really sucks.

Any ideas? Thanx. :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
That is quite the string of bad luck.... Things will get better !!!

Use a volt meter and check at each speaker to make sure that you don't have too much power going to the speaker that is buzzing. That could indicate a short in the head unit...

Does the buzzing change as the RPM's increase ?? If so, then you are getting interference from your ignition and you could ask an installer about isolating that noise... It MAY be because of the splices... Who knows ??

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It does not increase or become apparent with the RPM. I did not use a voltmeter to check the voltages, but tell me wht you make of this.

I went to Acura early this morning (7:00), and the temp was -20C. The amp modules were replaced. I drove it until about 11:00, and it buzzed until then. At about 2:00, the weather warmed up to about -10C, and I went to go change the speaker over to newer JBL, to see if that would make a difference. I drove around playing all types of music and the radio for almost 1/2 an hour, and no buzz from the bose.

What gives?

Is it the weather, or just a tempermental problem with the wiring?

Is it a weakened speaker maybe just starting to get really bad?

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Okay, Mckenzie91, not sure if this is the same problem i'm having. I'm getting a "Garbled Sound/Distortion" which doesn't sound like an all out Buzz, but one could say the music turns into various buzzes on it. It's only with my front 2 speakers. The rear ones are fine. I took the door panel off and noticed if I lightly press my hand onto the speaker cone, the speaker cuts off.. it's bad! I need to replace them...I'm thinking about the Polk's which I was told sounded better than the stock Bose speakers in the front.

Also today I noticed when the temp in the car raises enough so it's "WARM" the noise is less coming from the speakers (bass hits better in the front, less distortion). What I SHOULD have done is hooked up a diff speaker and tested it for a while...

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah its weird man. .....

I brought a friend over to help me with removing the door panel, and before I did that, I wanted him to hear the buzzing that I was talking about. I would not do the buzz that I had complained about (go figure). He though I was F%ckin crazy! It did not buzz all night either. And I think it is the same thing you are saying. Garbled distortion, and it does it when it wants to.

That is also funny what you say about your car warming up, and it calming down a bit. I noticed as the outside temp. goes up, the speaker does not buzz as much.

As for those polks, is it ok to run them with bose, and will they sound the same? Will they sound better? What abnbout volume issues?:)

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Guess What!!!!

I was listening to the crapy sounding music... so I went inside to get my mom. I said, I need you to tell me if you hear distortion from the back speakers.... well.. first I decided to show her the current distortion.. GUESS WHAT? It worked with little distortion, there was just a tad almost unnoticable amount. She said I WAS CRAZY.. HaHaHa!

I swear, damn radio has been working good all afternoon!!!!
AHHHHHHHHHH

- - - -

Futhermore, I heard the Polk Model # I was given: EX602a will sound better than the Bose. It shouldn't have any problem with the existing system I was told.... You will have to turn the speakers a little higher, just slightly to get the same amount of Audio (more OHMS 2 vs 4 on the polk). I'm still going to replace them, but I find it odd it comes and goes, I know the speaker is bad because I felt it... It's relation to temp inside the cabin I have no clue... I also wondered if there's 2 problems? God forbid it's the AMP that needs to heat or is causing bad sound....

If you get a chance, hook up some other speakers and listen to it... let me know if you hear any distortion... The Buzzing I hear, isn't like an electrical BUZZ... it's like the sound turns into several garbled sounds with "buzzing-like noises".

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bizarre. It must somehow be temperatue related. About those polks though, if you put them in with the bose, wont it be weird running a set of 2 ohm and a set of 4 ohm? Like if you have the volume at a certain level, and have the fade right in the middle, will the bose not be louder than the polks?

·
Registered
30 Posts
i too had a problem with my right rear and front speaker last week.it lasted for about 2 days.
even when i slow the volume to minimum i could hear sound like youre crushing paper,sort of garbled sound.the sound is smaller when i turn the volume higher than usual.i was so pissed off that i decided its about time to convert to an audiophile and change my whole system(in my college budget :) ).i became impatient and messed with the head unit, i just turned the fader knobs and other knobs like i was giving my radio a spanking.. and when i turned the bass knob all the way to left and push it quickly i heard a pop sound and guess what....no garbled sound and the music is clear again.phew..what a relief.guess i will not be converting after all...period. :D

·
Registered
270 Posts
McKenzie.... I just remembered reading on one of these forums, about someone having to clean and lubricate the rubber surround... I think he also sprayed a bit of WD-40 on the paper cone....

Something like that anyways... It was either on this forum or the Legend.org one...

·
Registered
189 Posts
I too have this problem, and it's only at the front passenger speaker, I have the regular Bose system, and it's really loud garble sound too... it's a constant hum as if the volume is up half way...do you guys know what the problem is?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thangqdo said:
I too have this problem, and it's only at the front passenger speaker, I have the regular Bose system, and it's really loud garble sound too... it's a constant hum as if the volume is up half way...do you guys know what the problem is?
Probably it is your system just getting old. All of my legendds have done this and so have many other peoples. It could be the speaker or the amp. The amp you can have looked at under warranty but jusdgin be the ages of our cars, it is probably time for some new speakers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I got the exact same problem 2 days ago when I was crusing around. It's just the passenger side door speaker but its still an annoying Buzz/crackle/distortion. Oddly enough like you were all saying its almost winter up here so its alot colder, I wonder how much impact the weather really has on your speakers? Anyway, im going to replace the front 2 with something else, any recommendations?

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have the same problem and I have the Bose Premium system. Basically mine just flips out whenever it wants. Some days the damn thing is perfect, other days you can't even stand turning it on it's so distorted.

My headunit display also fades in and out. One day it's on, one day it's faded. I'm getting fed up with this stuff.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts