Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was checkin out that JDM C20A on eBay. Just for kicks, how would one perform a swap of the C20 into an 87 Legend with a C25? What would you need to change?

· Registered
2,503 Posts
First do the two motors fit the same? i.e are the mounts the same? I imagine that the ECU will be different and there are probably so many wires that are not in your car. Everything could be different, like the length of the drive shafts. It is out of my league. It would cost too much $$$ to set it up and then get it running right. Plus who is going to help you when it breaks down? It is hard enough finding info the the G1's without a turbo :giggle:
If I had a spare million I would do it myself but I really think you would be up for some money.
Anyway I don't mean to be so negative but it seems just to be able to get it to fit and run right you are only going to have 10-20Hp more. Why not just take out your current engine and upgrade the fuel pump, forged pistons, crank and rods, stainless steel valves and a super charger that hangs out the bonnet? :D

· I'van der Rohe
13,069 Posts
that swap would be killer hard and pretty expensive if you used factory everything. if you chose to ditch the VNT turbo that was ECU controlled it would be a good deal easier but still rather tedious.

the torque and hp gains would be killer though. you'd be able to keep pace with G2s without trying. 190hp and something 190ft-lbs with weight coming in at right at 3000lbs i think. definately would be a runner.

· Registered
349 Posts
89HondaLegend said:
Anyway I don't mean to be so negative but it seems just to be able to get it to fit and run right you are only going to have 10-20Hp more. Why not just take out your current engine and upgrade the fuel pump, forged pistons, crank and rods, stainless steel valves and a super charger that hangs out the bonnet? :D
10-20 hp more? ummmm... ever hear of adjustable wastegate?
a 2.0t engine has a TON of potential... a 2.5na engine has very little.
the thing about a 2.0t vs. a 2.5na engine + supercharger is the compression ratios... i would not trust forced induction on an engine with such a high compression ratio... then again you could always put in two head gaskets or a headgasket spacer... or put 2.7l heads on the 2.5... etc etc.
but if you want bang for buck horsepower you dont really want an acura legend anyways :)

i would guesstimate that this swap would cost 2-5 grand on top of the engine cost... and then you will need a good parts connection over seas for things that cant be repaired...
if you cant find the ecu you can get an aftermarket one for fairly cheap...
google megasquirt for instance...
i imagine you could do it on a $3000 budget no problem... with a LOT of work (if you have a garage and hoist etc etc)

maytag

· Spiral descent
5,040 Posts
.LiViNgLeGeNd. said:
I was checkin out that JDM C20A on eBay. Just for kicks, how would one perform a swap of the C20 into an 87 Legend with a C25? What would you need to change?
This one?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-...ewItemQQcategoryZ33615QQitemZ8023306783QQrdZ1

This comes with just about everything you need it looks like. I would doubt the axles are different lengths seeing as this engine should almost be identical in external size, and that has more to do with the tranny. This will probably take more work than a USDM swap, but I highly doubt you would be paying for a ton of extra parts, seeing as most everything is already included, as long as you already have most of the tools you'll need. I'm not sure about emissions though. Overall, I say go for it. If it doesn't look feasible, you can easily sell it to someone else with more time or money.

· I'van der Rohe
13,069 Posts
2.7legend said:
uhh we could beat the g2's.... the auto type 1 i don't know about type 2.
not wanting to start any drama but just a heads up. the G1 feels faster, but is actually slower than all G2 models auto for auto/manual for manual. except, ofcourse the 94-95 auto Type I for a G1 2.7 auto (94-95's are heavier with no added measures to offset added weight). 92 and 91 models are much quicker. fastest i've run 0-60 average has been 6.8...average of 8 runs with not many mods. intake remus and Dinan stage II ECU.

however, a turbocharged C20 in a light chassis G1 would not leave any driver error room:)

· I'van der Rohe
13,069 Posts
telafonic said:
This one?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-...ewItemQQcategoryZ33615QQitemZ8023306783QQrdZ1

This comes with just about everything you need it looks like. I would doubt the axles are different lengths seeing as this engine should almost be identical in external size, and that has more to do with the tranny. This will probably take more work than a USDM swap, but I highly doubt you would be paying for a ton of extra parts, seeing as most everything is already included, as long as you already have most of the tools you'll need. I'm not sure about emissions though. Overall, I say go for it. If it doesn't look feasible, you can easily sell it to someone else with more time or money.
:werd:

I'd love to see a sleeper sedan or a clean coupe done up with a C20 Turbo:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.