Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 95 honda accord v6 with the c27a4 engine on it. it has a ractive intake,greedy power extreme exhaust,msd ignition,hi-flow converter,neuspeed wires, and also bought a zex nitrous kit. my question is if there is anything else i can do to my car to make it run faster?it seems that not a whole lot of people make performance parts(pulleys,cams,sprckets,turbo,pistons,rods)for this type of engine everybody makes parts for b or h series engines. is there anybody that has knowledge on this subject?

·
Registered
82 Posts
You have quite a few mods, I am not sure what what order you did them in or what testing you have done. You made no mention of fuel system. Make sure your current fuel system is able to supply enough gas for your given mods. You might be running lean. You need to focus on the engine as a complete system. You should do some baseline testing of backpressure, airflow, a/f mixture etc. Do you have headers? You may want to start experimenting with porting and polishing. You need to locate the weak spots in your system and improve them.

·
Registered
996 Posts
You should probably post this in the G1 forum ... engine is closer to G1 Legend.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i would like to put headers in my car ,but i dont know who makes one for my car(c27a4=95 accord). I still havent hooked up, the nitrous in fear that it might run too lean,i would like to get a fuel pressure regulator but also dont know who makes one for my car. Any suggestions? thanks.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Several companies make universal regulators if you can't find one specific to your engine. I believe Holley is one of the companies. You should estimate the maximum horsepower you intend to get. And design the fuel system around that number. You will probably need injectors, high flow filter, and possibly a pump. Using a regulator alone will work if you a just a little out of range. Increasing the pressure too much and you will exceed the capabilities of the pump to maintain flow rate. Invest in some books and do some testing before you spend any more money on mods.

·
88 sleeper
1,159 Posts
juliopoya said:
i would like to put headers in my car ,but i dont know who makes one for my car(c27a4=95 accord). I still havent hooked up, the nitrous in fear that it might run too lean,i would like to get a fuel pressure regulator but also dont know who makes one for my car. Any suggestions? thanks.
You dont need a FPR, as long as your fuel pressure is @ stock levels, the fuel nitrous jet will raise pressure fine....so long as you use the correct fuel jet size.

& all honda FPR's are identical. i have a B&M one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
engine rebuild

thank you guys for your advice. i thought that nobody knew anything about my car. I think that i will change my pistons and gaskets first before doing the nitrous. later i will try to put only a 55 shot on it. i found a rebuild kit form flatlanderracing.com that includes the pistons,rings and all major gaskets. I wonder if custom high performance pistons will help me in the horsepower department. any suggestions?

·
Registered
583 Posts
call/write the folks at:
www.paeco.com
they may be able to assist. if they have performance parts for the Acura v6, they MUST have parts for ford tractors and everydamthingelse...:D

·
Sleek And Low
249 Posts
Re: Re: c27a4 performance

RICDOGG said:

You dont need a FPR, as long as your fuel pressure is @ stock levels
There is no way to tell if your pump is keeping up without a fuel pressure cutoff switch. I got one with my NOS kit and I'm glad I did. It shuts down the system if the fuel pressure drops below 40psi. Sure enough, at 4,000rpm the switch shuts my sytem down. Turns out that my stock fuel pump can't keep up now that my car has 185,000 miles on it. Stock levels BTW are around 32-38psi, which is barely adequate. The NOS kit takes control over the regulator bumping the pump pressure to the max, but if the unit is old it may not be able to keep up. An inline booster pump is an option, but I'm currently looking for an aftermarket high-volume pump.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hey,
as I got no clue really about performance mod's, would running a higher pressure fuel pump do anything to assist an unmodded car, or is it only worthwhile putting in when modding up the motor?

·
Registered
583 Posts
possibly overpressurize your injector seals causing them to leak, causing your engine to work erraticly if at all, causing you to cuss up a storm... or not.

·
88 sleeper
1,159 Posts
Re: Re: Re: c27a4 performance

Bread said:

There is no way to tell if your pump is keeping up without a fuel pressure cutoff switch. I got one with my NOS kit and I'm glad I did. It shuts down the system if the fuel pressure drops below 40psi. Sure enough, at 4,000rpm the switch shuts my sytem down. Turns out that my stock fuel pump can't keep up now that my car has 185,000 miles on it. Stock levels BTW are around 32-38psi, which is barely adequate. The NOS kit takes control over the regulator bumping the pump pressure to the max, but if the unit is old it may not be able to keep up. An inline booster pump is an option, but I'm currently looking for an aftermarket high-volume pump.
i cant believe that your fuel pressure drops below 40...
are you sure it's the FP safety switch??
how did you determine that is was the switch?
what conditions need to be present to activate the system??

Full throttle. Master Switch, FPS switch, RPM switch???

·
Sleek And Low
249 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: c27a4 performance

RICDOGG said:

i cant believe that your fuel pressure drops below 40...
are you sure it's the FP safety switch??
how did you determine that is was the switch?
what conditions need to be present to activate the system??

Full throttle. Master Switch, FPS switch, RPM switch???
Well, the NOS regulator has a vaccum line that taps onto the stock fuel pressure regulator. So when the system is activated by the throttle position sensor/microswitch it also tells the regulator to allow the pump to use it's maximum capacity. But my car has 185,000 miles on it, so I didn't trust the stock fuel pump to be as strong as it should be. Therefore I installed a fuel pressure cutoff switch directly onto the fuel rail. It is set at 40 psi from the factory and serves as a ground for the NOS cylinoids. So when the pressure drops below 40psi, the ground is broken thereby shutting down the cylinoid which controls the flow of nitrous oxide. That safety switch is the only thing that will stop the nitrous from flowing when the system is activated and the pedal is to the floor. It makes sense because the system works until the motor revvs up at about 4,000rpm and starts to draw more fuel than the pump can supply.

Well, needless to say it was a good thing I did this because my pump is not able to keep up with the fuel necessary to prevent the motor from leaning out when the nitrous is flowing. I think a new stock fuel pump should be adequate, but I'd like to get an aftermarket unit to be sure. NOS makes an inline booster, but I'd still rather replace the tank unit.

The NOS cylinoids are also connected to a regulator, but I'm not sure how to adjust it. That could also be my problem. I may just need to turn it one way or the other, but I just left it the way it was set from the factory. I need to look into that before doing anything else.

·
88 sleeper
1,159 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: c27a4 performance

Bread said:

Well, the NOS regulator has a vaccum line that taps onto the stock fuel pressure regulator. So when the system is activated by the throttle position sensor/microswitch it also tells the regulator to allow the pump to use it's maximum capacity. But my car has 185,000 miles on it, so I didn't trust the stock fuel pump to be as strong as it should be. Therefore I installed a fuel pressure cutoff switch directly onto the fuel rail. It is set at 40 psi from the factory and serves as a ground for the NOS cylinoids. So when the pressure drops below 40psi, the ground is broken thereby shutting down the cylinoid which controls the flow of nitrous oxide. That safety switch is the only thing that will stop the nitrous from flowing when the system is activated and the pedal is to the floor. It makes sense because the system works until the motor revvs up at about 4,000rpm and starts to draw more fuel than the pump can supply.

Well, needless to say it was a good thing I did this because my pump is not able to keep up with the fuel necessary to prevent the motor from leaning out when the nitrous is flowing. I think a new stock fuel pump should be adequate, but I'd like to get an aftermarket unit to be sure. NOS makes an inline booster, but I'd still rather replace the tank unit.

The NOS cylinoids are also connected to a regulator, but I'm not sure how to adjust it. That could also be my problem. I may just need to turn it one way or the other, but I just left it the way it was set from the factory. I need to look into that before doing anything else.
what jet size are you usung for the fuel?
the regulator that you're thalking about...the blue hexagonal cylinder that is attactched between the two solenoids is set @ 50psi. i dont know if there is any other way to adjust it without buying another regulator...NOS might sell the springs to adjust pressure too.

just for S & Giggles. do you have an A/F gauge installed in the car...i was just wondering if the car is leaning out up till the switch cut's it off.

E

·
Sleek And Low
249 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: c27a4 performance

RICDOGG said:

what jet size are you usung for the fuel?
the regulator that you're thalking about...the blue hexagonal cylinder that is attactched between the two solenoids is set @ 50psi. i dont know if there is any other way to adjust it without buying another regulator...NOS might sell the springs to adjust pressure too.

just for S & Giggles. do you have an A/F gauge installed in the car...i was just wondering if the car is leaning out up till the switch cut's it off.

E
The fuel system is stock including the injectors and the pump. The NOS jet is the 60hp jet that comes with the kit. I haven't changed anything. I do not have an A/F gauge because I have the fuel pressure safety switch installed to monitor the pressure for me. But, I haven't messed with the the NOS regulator because the manual didn't say how it should be set or how to adjust it (wich way to turn it). I just left it alone. I do think I need to tweak it because of the results I'm getting. Maybe I'll check out the NOS site. They seem to be very helpful in answering questions via e-mail as well. I'll keep you updated.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Re: engine rebuild

juliopoya said:
thank you guys for your advice. i thought that nobody knew anything about my car. I think that i will change my pistons and gaskets first before doing the nitrous. later i will try to put only a 55 shot on it. i found a rebuild kit form flatlanderracing.com that includes the pistons,rings and all major gaskets. I wonder if custom high performance pistons will help me in the horsepower department. any suggestions?
Well if you're going NOS you'd be better off just getting stock compression or lower compression pistons, make sure they're forged......but I think you're going a lil over kill here, you dont need all that crap....especially on a 55 shot. Your motor can prolly hold a 80-100 shot no problems on the stock motor......fuel/air is the main concern.....thats whats gonna keep your motor from running lean and blowing up......talk to Ricdogg if you want all the details on pills to use n stuff.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: c27a4 performance

Bread said:

The fuel system is stock including the injectors and the pump. The NOS jet is the 60hp jet that comes with the kit. I haven't changed anything. I do not have an A/F gauge because I have the fuel pressure safety switch installed to monitor the pressure for me. But, I haven't messed with the the NOS regulator because the manual didn't say how it should be set or how to adjust it (wich way to turn it). I just left it alone. I do think I need to tweak it because of the results I'm getting. Maybe I'll check out the NOS site. They seem to be very helpful in answering questions via e-mail as well. I'll keep you updated.
Well you do know that realistically speaking, if your fuel pump ever did give out on you that switch wouldnt do you much good right? By the time your switch reads the low pressure at the end of the fuel rail it'll be too late cuz you'd be running pure NOS with no fuel for a second or two.....you're best bet would be to move the switch to your fuel filter so it'll sense the pressure drop and cut off the nitrous before the loss of fuel pressure even gets to the fuel rail and effects the injectors.

Also, the helper pump is a good idea so you dont have to get into your tank.....it basically takes the stress off the stock fuel pump when your nitrous kicks in.....as you engage the nitrous the vacuum controlled regulator raises fuel pressure to push more fuel through your injectors during each pulse of the injector...with the helper pump on you're relieving the pressure on the in tank pump and it doesnt see a difference becuase all the pressure happens from the helper pump to the injectors......your stock pump will run fine with just an inline pump installed. Like Ricdogg said, it'd be wise to install an A/F guage too so you know where you stand while the nitrous is engaged....otherwise you're flying blind and the only time you'll know you're leaning out is when your motor takes a crap on you or when your switch kicks in (not a good idea to let that happen....that switch isnt always accurate like I stated above)

anyway.....thats just my 2 cents :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts