Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you have the cable boxes that provide "additional viewing services" without having to go through the cable company in your area??? If so, which types, where'd ya get it and would you get another one? I'm shopping ( I hate Comcast) for chips and/or boxes and would like advice/opinions.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Re: Sure...

mushskid said:
Will I get all the BAM channels and pay-per-views for 0$ ???
You most definately will. :D
Damn thing payed for itself in one month.

Now if only I could find it as it's packed up in 1 of 15 boxes I have stored.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whoa Nelly!!!

What are you asking for it Acura? Do you recall the brand of box? Let me know. I really am interested...

C25 - According to my studies...There are no descamblers for digital signals yet. Also, channels 1-100 on your cable system are analog (digital signals are only the higher ones). As long as your pay-per-views and other channels are shown in the 1-100 range, you should be good to go. ;)

I also got hold of info on the chips themselves and installation of them. Affordable and fairly easy to install. I believe I'll be ordering some today and try my luck (but I'm still interested in a box that's ready if I can get one).

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
mushskid said:
Do any of you have the cable boxes that provide "additional viewing services" without having to go through the cable company in your area??? If so, which types, where'd ya get it and would you get another one? I'm shopping ( I hate Comcast) for chips and/or boxes and would like advice/opinions.
Yes i too would like "alternative viewing methods" can i get down?

·
L4K3R5 F4N
1,216 Posts
You just gotta make sure the box is compatible with the ones that your cable company uses in your area. Otherwise, get a universal one that supposedly works with 99% of the systems out there. Best ones from what I remember are the Vision 20/20 and Viewmaster 4000. Keep in mind that the quality isn't gonna be the greatest for the premium and PPV channels. There tends to be a bit of a blanching effect when viewing these channels. Obviously you can play with the color settings on your TV to correct this, but then you have to switch back when viewing normal channels. BTW, all this is only stuff I've heard from my brother's friend's father's baby cousin who owns one.:D I don't have one as they are illegal and that would be bad...;) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
812 Posts
Of course they are illegal unless notification of your cable co.
At least that's what my uncle's mother's sister's son-inlaw's girlfriend's grandma told me when she got her's from EBAY.

:)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Legality

I will most certainly notify my cable provider upon purchasing my equipment. My aun't sister's husband once removed told me I should (I believe that's my Dad?!?)...
Anyway...the search continues. I figure after 3 Roy Jones Jr. fights, a couple of wrestling extravaganzas and all the BAM channel I can watch after kids are in bed, I'll have my money back!
I love this shiznit!!!:D

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Hehe,

They exist for Regular Cable and Satallite, not sure about digital cable. You get all the channels. ALL. You do have to AT least get basic cable from your cable company. (So they're feeding your line). Technically, everything is sent by the cable company, but the box "Descrambles" the "Pay" channels.

I keep hearing that some Satallite companies use special "pulses" that potentially destroy some of the weaker Sattalite hacks (full access cards etc, like from Demos)

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
They can ping a cable line:confused: and if they do how can they know if you got a box? i mean the ping packet has to go back through the line....and if thats the case what is the ping looking for??????

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hehe

Yes, sattelite is a different creature. They can (and do) melt your cards at will. They send what they call ECMs which destroy illegitamate programming (I do know a thing or two about this process;) ). Cable though, as I understand it, requires that your box be addressable (I'm guessing the ping is to get this address). If your not addressable, your good to go from what I've read...Anybody with anything to add???

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
For instance, when you order a movie from the cable company, ppayview, they have to send it to you via the cable. When they do this it opens the channel for you to watch. Well, when the signal comes back, all the channels that are or not locked with come back from that ping. At least that's how I understand it. Sometimes they do random pings to test their system, maybe someone in your neighborhood is having cable trouble, they will send signals back and forth through your neighborhood.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
So like mushkid said if u don't have an addressable box your good then right?

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Actually from what I recall, (unless times have changed) they cable company would need to be practicaly outside your house or block to get a proper reading, and see if you're cheating....

So basically if the cable company is around your home one day, unplug it , when they ask you if you have illegal cable, say no of course not :D

Don't invite them in though ;)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If I understand

Leo correctly, he's saying they ping the entire system and check to see who replies that shouldn't be. Makes sense, just seems like a lot of "eyeballing" for them...I read about "bullets" too. These are similair to the ECM's the sattelite companies send in that the bullets can either reprogram or shutdown your altered box (if it is addressable). Apparently, there is some type of programming on the chips inside that determines addressability. Some box makers stress that their boxes are bulletproof and non-addressable. That is the type I ordered last night!!! WOOOHOOO!!! Forrest Hump, here I come!!! WOOOHOOO!!!
WE DON"T NEED NO STINKING ADDRESSABILITY!!!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Mush what up dog......let me get the down son?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts