Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still have not figured out if it is the tranny in my GS (that perhaps one of the previous owners had it, unknowingly, replaced with a Type I) or my speedometer is not calibrated correctly. My mind and ears are telling me that the tach and speedo are probably right and it probably is the tranny/differential. Though, how would I go about calibrating the speedometer if it is the meter?

·
SGM / Type F
3,699 Posts
Have you GPS'd your ground speed etc? My GS with stock everything is 2-3mph off intermittently. Acura of Cleveland says this is within normal tolerances for analog gauges??? More likely they don't want to fiddle with the potentiometer. I'm going to see what I can do when it's time to take the cluster out for my LED mod.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am trying to get a hold of a GPS device that can do what you are saying, can you recommend one? Also, I think that the difference is maybe 5-7mph off between the coupe and sedan I have (LS and GS; both auto's). Basically, my GS sedan's gauges, both speedo and tach, position-wise, run at 1:1, all the way up to 100 or so, whereas the coupes' tach trails its speedo by about 30 degrees (of rotation).

It seems I either need a GPS unit or find one of those "you are going X mph" electronic signs that the police put out occasionally.

·
Registered
403 Posts
GPS is the way to go. Lock the car at a certain speed with the cruise control and let the GPS acquire for some time. Then compare. I would do this at different speeds. Mine is +5mph above 50mph, reliably verified with three different GPS units. I don't mind it now that I know what it is but 80mph isn't as dramatic as it should be :)

·
Registered
650 Posts
yeah i made a post about this a while ago and basically got a "theres not really a way to adjust it" response.

my speedo reads about +5 mph at 50 and by the time i hit 80 on it im really going 70. confirmed it several times with GPS, police signs, and friends driving next to me. i have stock wheels and tires. whatever, im over it, hopefully it will save me from a speeding ticket or two!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.