Acura Legend Forum banner

California Car Duster: Yay or Nay?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Cassis Red Pearl
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Personally, I worship my California Car Duster. The air in Macungie, Pennsylvania seems to be thick with pollen, especially this time of year. I dust my Legend every day, sometimes multiple times a day. My friends think I'm crazy. My dad says I'm probably scratching the hell out of it without knowing. What does everyone think of this between-wash tool?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I like them for the next few days after a washing/waxing while the dust/pollen is easy to get off...meaning do not need to apply pressure to remove the dust. Once it has rained (or morning dew) you should not use it, because then the dust/pollen is "attached" to your car and it no longers comes off easily.

·
Registered
144 Posts
NAY in the biggest way possible!

When you really think about it, the more you use it the more damage it's doing! You are eventually just wiping your car down with dirt!

A detail spray and a micro fiber towel are the best ways to get a quick clean up accomplished with a little damage done as possible.

Yes the CCD is super easy to use - but you are going to spend MORE time correcting the damage done than if you had simply used detail spray and a MF towel.

·
I'van der Rohe
13,069 Posts
Yes, I swear by my duster.

I tried the "microfibre and detail spray" crap...I'll never do it again. I went off the word of someone trust worthy, and even though it may have worked for them, it swirled my paint and was all together worthless. I was pissed i spent the 10 dollars on that detail spray.

The Duster on the other hand NEVER scratched my paint. It smeared the dirt the first few times so i used it on other peoples' cars to get it to work right. After it got "set" it was indispensable. Shake it really well after every use to knock off the loose dirt and stuff it back in the plastic bag...off you go.

I got SOOO many compliments on my car's finish, while using the duster, it was ridiculous.

I say big thumbs up to Cali Duster, Thumbs down to microfiber and Spray. I only used Microfibre Towels (after that point) to wipe the wax off the car. use the sponge applicator to apply it.

before you ask, I had a fresh Microfibre cloth out of the roll and the spray bottle had been shaken well enough.

·
Legends=Automysophobic
107 Posts
I bought the CCD after someone on the forum suggested it and it has been awesome. I would suggest it to anyone that doesn't want to spend 30 minutes "microfibering" their car. Actually just today there was a car show I went to that was held outside and about 4 out of 5 people were using the CCD on their Stingrays, Cobras, Mustangs and so on and so on. If used properly the CCD lifts the dust, pollen and other particles from your car without the the use of any pressure. In my opinion and exeperience the CCD is a definite yay.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
2,475 Posts

When you really think about it, the more you use it the more damage it's doing! You are eventually just wiping your car down with dirt!

A detail spray and a micro fiber towel are the best ways to get a quick clean up accomplished with a little damage done as possible.

Yes the CCD is super easy to use - but you are going to spend MORE time correcting the damage done than if you had simply used detail spray and a MF towel.
:werd: couldn't have said it better myself...can you say SWIRL MARK CITY?!?!?!!

·
Registered
1,693 Posts

Your company makes very good products, but in the interest of full disclosure... you sell detail spray and micro fiber towels...

I personally have not experienced any of the damage you make reference to.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Your company makes very good products, but in the interest of full disclosure... you sell detail spray and micro fiber towels...

I personally have not experienced any of the damage you make reference to.

True we don't sell the CCD but we do sell a number of products you can purchase after you've used the CCD to correct the swirl marks and scratches it will leave after a few times use. It's most noticeable on shiny cars like black, blue and red - on my silver paint it's hard to see without proper lighting.

Think about how the CCD works for a second. It's exactly like taking a bath. You sit in the water, but the dirt stays in the water. You are sitting in dirty water. Same with the CCD. The dirt does not disappear once it gets into the fibers. It sits there and rubs on your vehicle just like the rest of the fibers do.

:bigok:

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Cool. I'll agree with you if people are trying to take actual dirt off with the CCD.

I use it for pollen or light dust for the next few days after a cleaning/waxing, shaking it out after each use. Once the car is dirty, I do not use it. It does not replace washing your car.

·
Cassis Red Pearl
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MF and detail spray

I bought some Meguiars detail spray and Microfiber towels the other day. After I give her a quick sudsin' and hosin' I'm gonna give this a shot. Any tips on technique... Jason?

·
Legends=Automysophobic
107 Posts
You get swirl marks from someone that has had no experience using a rotary buffer not from the CCD. The CCD is only supposed to be used for pollen and dust never for dirt or gravel drive-way dust.

·
Rebuilding :(
4,727 Posts
Swirls are what make your paint look like crap. It is a collective term when describing lines that catch light in the paint. But the word i think your looking for when using a rotary is holograming or burning, or even micro marring.

Micro marring is exactly what the CCD does. In my opinion, there is only one way that can remove fall out and contamination day in and day out without risk and thats a good ole hose down.

The next poll should ask how many people think their car looks good after a drive thru car wash washing. I wanted to experience it first hand on my car as to how bad it would look, and let me tell you, im never going to do that again.

·
Aguy
1,314 Posts
I bought some Meguiars detail spray and Microfiber towels the other day. After I give her a quick sudsin' and hosin' I'm gonna give this a shot. Any tips on technique... Jason?
I like the stuff a lot..use one MF to wipe it on then another one to wipe it off. It's real quick and easy. I hadn't washed my car in 2 weeks, had bird crap all over the trunk, etc...used that stuff before me and a friend went out and the car looked nice and pretty again. Took me and my buddy about 10-15 min. to do it while it was in the garage.

·
Cassis Red Pearl
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Micro marring is exactly what the CCD does. In my opinion, there is only one way that can remove fall out and contamination day in and day out without risk and thats a good ole hose down.

The next poll should ask how many people think their car looks good after a drive thru car wash washing. I wanted to experience it first hand on my car as to how bad it would look, and let me tell you, im never going to do that again.
I can definately believe that the CCD does this micro-marring, especially if your picking up gravel dust with it. I think for whisking off pollen though, nothing compares. As long as you use it as directed, lightly whisking the duster across the surface with long, even strokes (that just turned me on), I think noticeable affects will be negligable (sp?)

As for the second part of that quote, in my area we've got a touchless automatic car wash and I think that is the tits. It's like a 10 stage wash that never touches your car with anything other then soap and water. The deluxe wash even hot waxes your car. I've only gone through once or twice, but I have to say it makes my car look hot with no side effects. BUT, those washes that smother your car in chamois are certainly bad news!

guyad said:
I like the stuff a lot..use one MF to wipe it on then another one to wipe it off. It's real quick and easy. I hadn't washed my car in 2 weeks, had bird crap all over the trunk, etc...used that stuff before me and a friend went out and the car looked nice and pretty again. Took me and my buddy about 10-15 min. to do it while it was in the garage.
Yeah, I was really impressed by the detail spray. What I did was hose 'er down real nice, let 'er dry a bit and then detail sprayed one section at a time, like you said one MF to wipe it one, another to wipe off. Comes up sooo nice!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.