Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Five- O
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on painting my calipers and part of the rotor. Doesn't anyone have any recomendations on which paint kit I should get?

Thanks
Esti

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
There are caliper specific kits available out there, although I don't feel that they are necessary and can be overpriced. At any auto parts store you can get high temp paint or caliper paint that should work well. Just be sure to sand the calipers and clean them well. I would also recommend a coat of primer.

·
I'm too sexy for my car
2,498 Posts
I used High temp engine enamel and it works pretty good. Like Infinite said most caliper paint kits are overpriced and do the same thing that the high temp engine enamel can do. You can pick a can up at strauss, autozone, pepboys,etc. I know of a kit called foliatec but i don't know who sells them.

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
Triton3k is right, caliper paint is over priced. I bought a can of Ford Engine Blue for my calipers from Walmart :) Little of $2 for the can, it's high temp engine paint and works perfectly on rotors. So cheap it allows me to freshen up the paint every spring.

·
502MotorSports.com
9,321 Posts
NickD said:
Triton3k is right, caliper paint is over priced. I bought a can of Ford Engine Blue for my calipers from Walmart :) Little of $2 for the can, it's high temp engine paint and works perfectly on rotors. So cheap it allows me to freshen up the paint every spring.
FYI, it also helps to put a couple of coats of clear on them as well

·
*r**h *eller
1,920 Posts
One thing to remember about some of those caliper paint kits (like Foliatec) is that they have a 2 part paint that is more durable than regular hi temp engine paint.

Worth the price??? That's up to you.

Either way you go, surface prep and masking of machined surfaces is critical to a well done job.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
i used regular hi-temp engine enamel. 4.99 at home depot. yes it won't last as long as foliatec but i can get 10 cans for the price of one kit. if i paint them 3 times a year, the ten cans will last me about 5 years. definately not worth getting the kit IMHO.
-j

·
502MotorSports.com
9,321 Posts
NickD said:
Think clearcoat is really necessary? This is mine without clearcoat. The picture is pretty faded, look much more blue in person.
Not necessary, but the CLEAR brings out the shine in the caliper, and its details that win...in comparison to my calipers without clear, I was amazed.

Try it for yourself

·
I'm too sexy for my car
2,498 Posts
I strongly agree with aiznpride. For the amount of money that one can of foliatec caliper paint, i'll just go out and buy a few cans of high temp engine enamel which will still run a few bucks less than buying one can of foliatec caliper paint. I know a guy that lives around the corner from me and he used foliatec caliper paint on his accord and he told me that the finishing look wasn't much different than when he used high temp engine enamel when he had another set of calipers. But all in all, it depends on the owner of the car and what they want to use.

·
*r**h *eller
1,920 Posts
If you figure in the value of your time, the cost of things evens out a bit. The thought of painting calipers 3 times a year is a big turn off to me. I value my time at $25/hr.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
25 bux eh? :D
thought i was the only one to put a dollar value on my time. well i'm not up there with you but i estimate my value to be about 10 bux an hour at any hour in the day. which is probably why i sleep only 4 hours a day. hehe.

-j

·
I'm too sexy for my car
2,498 Posts
Well Jae, get ready to get paid once spring hits because i'm ready to do some mods and I only trust you to help me out if it's aight with you.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
hehe,
i'll add you to the list. after i'm done with my car, i have to help do a SR20DET swap. then it's pat's strobes and wigwags. then it's you. pretty busy once spring hits eh? hopefully it'll all get done before may.
-j

·
I'm too sexy for my car
2,498 Posts
Jae--where did Pat get that kit from? As long as were done by Carlisle then we are fine :D :D I'm gonna enter just for the hell of it

·
502MotorSports.com
9,321 Posts
DSCLegend94 said:
What do you have to cover up to paint the calipers and about how long to do everything?
you need to cover:
rotors
vents on the caliper (2 per caliper - one on top, one on the bottom)
Applicable suspension componenets.

ETA - Depends on your tools...I HIGHLY suggest hydro jacks and at least one pair of jackstands. - 1.5 - 2.5 hrs...This allows for drying, clear coats, etc.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts