Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does my 88 Legend Coupe, with a 2.7 even have one? I've looked all over my chilton manuel for one, and even had one of my co-workers from Auto Zone look for it but couldn't find it. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
:lol: you'll never find it listed for these cars because they're called CRANKSHAFT sensor... just so you know; same difference though ;)

·
Registered
842 Posts
:lol: you'll never find it listed for these cars because they're called CRANKSHAFT sensor... just so you know; same difference though ;)
Yup, it's called a crank sensor, but it's located behind the front camshaft pulley. Not a simple thing to replace because you have to remove the front sprocket, which means that you have to ensure that you don't change the valve timing when you replace it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advise! I think I will replace the belt and the water pump while I've got it all torn apart. It's running really shitty. I've known that I had to replace it for a while now, although I didn't know what it was called. I can just be crusin down the road with it at 2500 RPMs, and the motor would cut out for a half a second then shudder when the cylinders fire again. I'm still getting 20 MPG though, which I'm happy about.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,
Why do you change your camshaft potition sensor or crank cyl sensor? Is it because of melted or because you notice make something problem? I need your comment. Mine was melted But I don't know, if the cause of my engine stop. The engine sound wierd and suddently stop. When I check inside the sensor was melted. Can we check if the sensor is good or not? How?
Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
This applies to G2's....but it may also apply to G1's. Hate to see you guys replace something that's a PITA to do if it doesn't need to be done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
CKP/CYP sensor

How to test the sensor if it's still function good, even though the resin melted? Do you know what is the function really? If the sensor malfunctions does it cause the engine seize up?
:yumyum:

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
How to test the sensor if it's still function good, even though the resin melted? Do you know what is the function really? If the sensor malfunctions does it cause the engine seize up?
:yumyum:
^^^ Heres what it does; The CRANK or crankshaft angle sensor signal is used to determine the timing for fuel injection and ignition timing. It is also used to generate the engine RPM signal.

Also, dependent of its proper functionality is the TDC sensor... which uses a signal to determine ignition timing during start-up or when the CRANK signal is abnormal.

Others will chime in, hopefully... otherwise just search the archive for it!

·
Registered
94 Posts
If i remember right its going to be a 2-wire variable reluctant sensor (VRS) which means its going to produce its own voltage depending on the speed of the reluctor wheel locating on the crankshaft. unplug the sensor and get your self a voltage meter, hook up the meter to the two wires it is not polarity sensitive so don't worry about which one is positive and which one is negative. Keep all wires clear of any moving components and have someone crank the engine. The reading you should be getting is atleast .5 Volts upon start up.

·
Registered
910 Posts
If i remember right its going to be a 2-wire variable reluctant sensor (VRS) which means its going to produce its own voltage depending on the speed of the reluctor wheel locating on the crankshaft. unplug the sensor and get your self a voltage meter, hook up the meter to the two wires it is not polarity sensitive so don't worry about which one is positive and which one is negative. Keep all wires clear of any moving components and have someone crank the engine. The reading you should be getting is atleast .5 Volts upon start up.
Sorry for thread hijack but did you get those headlights done? lol.

·
Registered
94 Posts
yes i did get them done but not to my satisfaction. They were finished before i completed my automotive degree and they were done in a shitty way. So i'm not feeling too comfortable reproducing them right now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone have a 1989 Acura legend ls 2 door looking for a camshaft position sensor can’t seem to fin one

1 - 15 of 15 Posts