Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am using 89 gasoline right now.

Just wondering wether we I use 87 gasoline in my 1992 Legend(4 drs).

Thanks.

·
Matthew is THE USER!
1,672 Posts
yes.
but you wont get the best performance
might aswell chip out the extra 10$ per fill up for the added performance and mpg

where in Canada you located?
im trying to find any Ottawa based forum users on this friggin site..

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
yes.
but you wont get the best performance
might aswell chip out the extra 10$ per fill up for the added performance and mpg

where in Canada you located?
im trying to find any Ottawa based forum users on this friggin site..
$10?!

Hot damn, you have a huge gas tank.

·
Matthew is THE USER!
1,672 Posts
im just puttin out a number :p sheeeesh. you get the point.. i rarely pay attention to how much i pay.. all i know is that its not a pretty sight to see almost 3 numbers dissappear from your bank account everytime you fill'er up

·
Banned
14,692 Posts
$10?!

Hot damn, you have a huge gas tank.
werd, even at a $0.30 difference, thats only about $5.50 per fill, its not too bad.

but to answer your question, as long as your car is stock. use 87. expect slightly less performance, that you may or may not feel.

if u even have your car chipped or have had the heads shaved or any alot of mods, then you probablu should use higher octane gas

I'll tell you what you should do thou in the future when you have a question. Use the search feature, read, study, then ask/post if u have more confusion.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
18 gallon gas tank.

$3.12 / gallon 87 = $56.16

$3.49 / gallon 91 = $62.82

Total difference = $6.66 (Hmm! Legend Anti-Christ strikes again!)

Just an FYI.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I wouldnt use 87, the previous owner of mine used it for a time and it ran so poorly I wouldnt be surprised if it was misfiring the engine.
You can get by on 89 if you have to but its noticeably down on power from premium fuel.

·
Yeah BABY!
972 Posts
18 gallon gas tank.

$3.12 / gallon 87 = $56.16

$3.49 / gallon 91 = $62.82

Total difference = $6.66 (Hmm! Legend Anti-Christ strikes again!)

Just an FYI.
Damn, we got an 18 gallon tank? I didn't know that. I thought it was 16 or something..

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
when it comes to gas , dont cheap out. used the 91, it might hurt your pocket book right now, but in the long run you will be very happy.
my best way to compromise is with food. lol. in order for me to do more frequent tune ups and higher octane. i dont eat out that much no more. currently , 80% of my diet is fruits and veggie. and i lost 27 lbs in 3 month for that, lmao.
i plan to drive my legend until the day i die. i might buy 1 or 2 more car within 10 years. but i aint getting rid of my legend. i went through with it so much, good or bad, that no one take my legend from me.

·
Cassis Red Pearl
618 Posts
I've been using 93 ever since I got her back and she's loving me for it. $25 bucks gets me half a tank and I get over a hundred miles from it, so I'm content. I remember I cheaped out for a time and was putting 87 in it. It can't harm your engine cuz we have knock sensors. What happens is lower octane fuel burns faster, which in a car designed for slow burning high octane fuel can cause premature detonation. The knock sensors pick up on this and retard the engine timing to compensate. End result is your car running at far below peak performance, as others have mentioned here. All said in done your car will run better and get better gas mileage with the higher octane, thereby making the extra cost more than worth it. Compare your MPG with a tank of 87 to a tank of 93 and I bet you won't do that again! :p

·
Registered
17 Posts
You may not get knock but you can get incomplete combustion cant you? I think thats what I was hearing when this Legend was running 87. I'm not a gearhead but if you get incomplete combustion over time that could hurt your engine I imagine.

·
Registered
206 Posts
then how come the most that i've ever been able to put in there was 15? And that was when i was in the red w/ the light on for a few days. But all i'm sayin is that premium rocks. I have about 430k on my legend and all i've used is premium since 91 when i got it. It helps!

·
AKA Carlton I3anks
2,581 Posts
Premium helps. but u can put 87. Ive done it a couple of times.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
then how come the most that i've ever been able to put in there was 15? And that was when i was in the red w/ the light on for a few days. But all i'm sayin is that premium rocks. I have about 430k on my legend and all i've used is premium since 91 when i got it. It helps!
me too!! i was below empty one day and i filled it up and had gas pouring outta my tank when i got too 14.9 gallons

1 - 17 of 17 Posts