Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
11* [VETERAN NOOB!] *11
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I have a problem(not really big just need someone to help me put this in chronological order) I want to let everyone know right off the bat that i don't s-hit money therfore funds are limited. OK I want to dynamat my car fully ie(doors, trunk, bottom floor, anything else) I don't want to hear the road at all with the windows up and I sure in the hell don't want to hear (vroooooooom,br,vroooooooom,br,br,vroooooom) coming from the outside of my trunk when the subs hit. How hard is it to dynamat. I enjoy doing work to my car myself so I feel I would love tackling this task. I know I need a heat gun. Do I have to sand the surface free of paint??!! Or do I just have to make sure its clean?? How hard?!?! Should I do this before I get my shocks and springs?!??! And my rims?!?!?! Or would it not matter. Dynamat can add alot of wieght to "Alice" so should I wait to get my shocks and springs???What shoiuld I do?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,486 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Legend"11 said:
OK I have a problem(not really big just need someone to help me put this in chronological order) I want to let everyone know right off the bat that i don't s-hit money therfore funds are limited. OK I want to dynamat my car fully ie(doors, trunk, bottom floor, anything else) I don't want to hear the road at all with the windows up and I sure in the hell don't want to hear (vroooooooom,br,vroooooooom,br,br,vroooooom) coming from the outside of my trunk when the subs hit. How hard is it to dynamat. I enjoy doing work to my car myself so I feel I would love tackling this task. I know I need a heat gun. Do I have to sand the surface free of paint??!! Or do I just have to make sure its clean?? How hard?!?! Should I do this before I get my shocks and springs?!??! And my rims?!?!?! Or would it not matter. Dynamat can add alot of wieght to "Alice" so should I wait to get my shocks and springs???What shoiuld I do?
Thanks
My fellow Legend owner, I beg you not to do that because I had a homeboy that got killed because he liked his music loud and failed to hear the fire engine coming up on his side and it struck him killing him and another passenger......Please don't do this!

·
11* [VETERAN NOOB!] *11
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know that is the only sucky thing of it all!

I love my music loud because I feel it!(Sounds stupid but it's the truth!:p) I know that is the only sucky thing about having a loud system because the ambulance, fire trucks, and police could be behind me and I won't know. I know from experience because when I had my 12's in my (don't laugh) Buick skylark I was mobbing down the Blvd blaring my ghetto blasters to Nas and the Police was trying to pull me over. He told me he was trying to pull me over for 8 blocks before I realized he was behind me. I got my first ticket ever last summer,Disturbing the Peace! I'm just thanking I didn't get an Eluding the Police charge as well! :p I wish they had something to hook up to the deck that would automatically mute it when Police,Fire Men, and the ambulance have there sirens on! Get this---> My brother in law is a fire fighter and he has 2 10" subs, 2 tweeters, and some midrange in his truck. His s-hit hits hard!!! Some people like it loud! Or maybe it has to be loud for him to hear!?(All that wear in tear from the sirens damaged his ears..j/k brother in law Anthony):):)

·
Registered
595 Posts
Re: Re: Can someone say dynamat?!?!?

whiplash9001 said:

My fellow Legend owner, I beg you not to do that because I had a homeboy that got killed because he liked his music loud and failed to hear the fire engine coming up on his side and it struck him killing him and another passenger......Please don't do this!
Relax, sound dampening materials usually are designed for low frequence noises only such as road noise and bass resonance. You will be able to hear a siren outside of the car regardless of if its been dynamated. In fact once you dynamat your car you might find yourself listening to the same music at a lower volume because it is that much clearer and does not compete with the road noise.

Legend11-
There are several Dynamat look alikes that work just as well and cost lest. B-quiet.com and cascadeaudio.com also make great dampening materials. I am going to use a paint on dampener and the sheets as well. I want to do my whole trunk, above the wheelwells in the rear, the back deck of the interior and hopefully the doors as well. You do not need to sand down the metal to get the stuff to stick. All you really need is a wooden roller and a heatgun to get it to conform to the irregular surfaces. Good luck!

·
11* [VETERAN NOOB!] *11
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LEGENDC

I never thought of the tire wells!!!:D Thanks man I will probably go with the cheaper stuff..It's not like you can see the name brand anyway!?!?!

·
Registered
595 Posts
BTW when I said tire wells I mean the cabin/interior side of them, not the part that would be splashed by water and get dirty. You might have to remove your seats to see this area.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
do i have to do my whole car like bing, or can i just do my trunk? i dont want to tear apart my interior, but i may have to. Bing, you know what sub and amp im gonna run, so do i need to do the whole car, i dont want the trunk to buzz like a biatch, so i will do that for sure, but does the rest of it really need it? definatly the wheel wells and i dont know, any help please, Bing.
thanks
Tnelson

G

·
Does anybody else have problems with the rear deck rattling when the subs hit. Will Dynamat on the rear deck cure this?

·
Registered
595 Posts
SpeedDemon said:
Does anybody else have problems with the rear deck rattling when the subs hit. Will Dynamat on the rear deck cure this?
I see you have a coupe too. I have the nastiest sounding squeaks, rattles, and buzzing back there. Part of the reason is the latch on the back tray is broken. I am planning on taking that whole back deck out and painting the underside with the paintable dampener. I am also planning on painting the metal framework underneath, around the speaker mounts and also I will paint each and every clip that hold the back deck in place. I am planning on using the sheet material all over my trunk and trunklid. I have a feeling that the sheet material will work the best on large flat panels but the paintable stuff will work just about everywhere else.

·
Registered
103 Posts
If your wanting to deaden everything then the only way to do it right is to completly strip EVERYTHING! Even if you buy the cheap stuff it is still going to cost you a few hundred bucks, besides the fact that your going to have you car taken apart for a good two days or more. For ease of use get the spray, the sheets are a pain in the butt to deal with. My suggestion would be to do it a little at a time, which you'll probably have to do anyway because of cash.
As far as the deck lid this is what I did to mine after looking at another car a longtime installer did.
Go to Wal-Mart or Lowes and buy that expanding foam sealer/insulation,spray that into the deck lid, not too much or it will expand way to much and split it out! Then cover the lid with sound dampener and then dampen the rest of the truck. Viola!
No more rattles. Make sure your licsence plate isn't rattling as well.

G

·
I'll have to look some more into this this weekened. I just don't want to get to carried away money wise, cause I'm saving up for another big project right now.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
SpeedDemon said:
Yeah i do, i got two 12"s and the rear deck makes this rattle noise, i think it's the loose metel under it.

G

·
SpeedDemon said:
Yeas I have that problem.. it's bugging the **** out of me..

G

·
You know, I have found that most cars do this and in about this same area. I would think that by now manufacturers would have realized that after a few years people will start buying the cars and putting subs in them. They could reinforce the areas where this would be a problem or use materials that wouldn't rattle and I don't think that it would be to much trouble for them. If anybody finds a solution to this rattle please post!!! It's really bugging me too.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I also have 2 12s and the rattling annoyed me to death so I Dynamated my rear deck. The results were good cuz most of the rattling did stop. The only problem is that the actual deck cover thing (the carpeted dealie) now rattles a little bit against the rear window. You might wanna take care of this problem while you have it all taken apart. The main area of concern is the surround of the third brake light. But overall, the Dynamat did help quite a bit. If any of you guys are in the bay area, e-mail me ([email protected]) and I might be able to hook you up with Real Dynamat Real cheap. Anything for fellow Legend drivers :D .

-GR

·
Registered
125 Posts
DYNAMATS !!!!

hehehe there I sad it..:D :D :D

I know you sad that you did not want to spend a lots of $$$.
Well today I went to ZIEBART to get a Sound Barrier put on my car.. A Tar like stuff they spray on the underside of the car...
all over..cost $ 200.
Let me tell you WOW, WOW, It made a BIG diff in the noise level..
I had a prob with the exhaust noise comeing into the cabin,
It was like a low Brhummmmmmm,( after market muff ) 1st to 2nd gears , takeing off..
Now I have to say about 50% less noise.....
IMO, well worth it..
Just think, Dynamat about $135 for 35sq ft.. you may need 2 or 3 rolls or maybe 4..thats a lot of $$s..

This is just what I think..I may be wrong..who knows..

Oh Yeah, It also helps to prevent rust and corrosion :) :)

Just my two cents..Good luck
Keith.:) :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I dynamated the rear deck and it solves the problem. I also put a spacer between the window and the brake light that sits on the rear deck. I sounds perfect now.

DO NOT BUY B-QUITE. I bought a whole buch of that stuff and did my whole car. I thought it was great and it sounded good. Then a couple of days later I looked in my trunk and it had all melted from the sun. It was summer and I live in california, but still it melted into a liquid. It all fell off. I had to take paint thinner and clean all the black melted b-quite off. It sucked.

If you have the money, there is no substitue for dynamat. I have redone all my car with dynamat and it works perfect and has not melted.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts