Acura Legend Forum banner

Can they hear Stewie?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my wife were discussing whether or not the other characters on Family Guy can hear Stewie when he talks.

I think they can't and just treat him like a normal baby.

She thinks they can but ignore him.

I know they can hear Brian the dog because they talk with him but I've never seen them converse with Stewie like an adult.

·
because i can.
10,426 Posts
I think only when its convenient for the writers rather than a consistent "they either can or can't hear him"

And I think its been like that since day one as referenced in that one episode where Peter makes their property its own country...

At the end there is a classroom in the future learning about Petoria and the teacher asks, "any questions?" and a guy asks, "Uh yeah..so can they like hear the baby....or how does that work? I don't get it..." :rofl:

·
Mr. X (aka #5)
4,591 Posts
man, thats some shit you come up with when you sitting there baked on the couch. haha

i think they cant understand him, and they just hear baby gibberish.

if they could understand him, i think they would have him admitted with all those murder attempts
yeah, but him and brian have conversations all the time, and brian and peter have conversations as well. thus with the transitive property, A=B B=C thus A=C, therefore, peter SHOULD be able to have conversations with stewie. I think its more so what gabe said, when its most convenient.

and gabe, youre right about garfield, same goes for the garfield comics. basically all the speech that comes from garfield in the cartoon are thoughts unless directed at animals (for some reason all animals can converse), hes always making snide remarks to john and he just can't seem to hear him? its much easier to understand in the comic since speech is in a speech bubble while thoughts are in a though bubble (convenient huh?).

·
Stop eyeballin' me, dawg!
1,209 Posts
yeah, but him and brian have conversations all the time, and brian and peter have conversations as well. thus with the transitive property, A=B B=C thus A=C, therefore, peter SHOULD be able to have conversations with stewie. I think its more so what gabe said, when its most convenient.
Brian has already expressed linguistic talent by learning both Dog and English in an abbreviated dog-length-lifetime. Perhaps there is a third "baby" language at play that Brian can also understand. Otherwise Peter would wonder why Brian is constantly having one-sided conversations with Stewie... maybe they make it sound like English because they've realized that "goo goo ga ga poopy" doesn't have much of a comedic shelf life. Or, maybe its just that dogs have a greater sense of hearing.

·
because i can.
10,426 Posts
Or maybe its just that the writers dont give a shit whether the show makes sense or not :rofl:

There's VERY LITTLE realism involved with this show you guys hahahaha....there are so many running gags and inconsistencies that it has just become one of the shows staples...

·
Registered
136 Posts
you know what really funny is that the dog's "dumb blonde" girlfriend CAN understand stewie. i think the mom can only hear him (not understand him), because if he curses at her she just tells him to settle down or w/e

·
Find Em Fuck Em Forget Em
946 Posts
Sometimes Lois directly responds to what Stewie says.

Also worth noting....in the old Garfield cartoons, John NEVER ONCE hears anything that Garfield says...pay attention and you'll see! Lol NOBODY ever believes or agrees with me on that!!
This is absolutely true. Too bad Lorenzo Music died and took the real Garfield voice with him.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.