Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From a dead stop, with the transmission in D or S3, can you smoke the tires? When you hit 2nd - do you get the tires to chirp as well?

Naturally, with a standard transmission, this should be easy.

The reason I ask is that I have a code 8 showing (TDC sensor) and I am wondering if this is costing me power.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Sure, my legend can burn out pretty easy, especially when slamming on the gas comming out of a drive way:D. I doubt that means I'm special...

My engine and tranny has been operating great since i got it (flushed and filled about 2k miles ago, going to do it again soon). Also it helps I've got a brand new distributor (OEM) too and a recent tune up.

·
Registered
583 Posts
my Kumho's are sticky, but I can burn some and chirp second whenever I'm in it.
my old Falkens were easy to roll, as were the (forgotten name) tires before that.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Mine chriped!

I let le bredwin take a tet drive and the man chirped in 2nd gear.
I was shocked. but....... he is a mad man! He will not be driving my car for a long long while.

·
Registered
541 Posts
now with you guys getting the 2nd gear chirps..i assume you have 5 spds? Because i don't think AUTOS can chirp in 2nd on dry pavement..right?

·
Registered
583 Posts
D3/D4/D
gets dry second when I want...
we don't need no steenkin clutches...:D

·
Registered
217 Posts
brand new tires; they make no noise unless you powerbrake, however i still chirp in second. bad tranny i guess.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Guys, I don't think you want to smoke them too much. I found out that due to the design of this auto trans, when it shifts very hard or your tires catch traction suddenly, the clutches inside the trans get most of the abuse. When this happens, the cluch tends to slip a little and produce the tiny metal shavings that clog the solenoids among other things. i know this because I lost my trans mainly because of this a while back.

Now if you have a manual trans, you can smoke'em til you stink up the whole block with no real damage but rubber shaving.

Sorry this was long, but I would hate to see costly blown transmissions just for a little fun!!!!

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Eli (NJ) said:
Guys, I don't think you want to smoke them too much. I found out that due to the design of this auto trans, when it shifts very hard or your tires catch traction suddenly, the clutches inside the trans get most of the abuse. When this happens, the cluch tends to slip a little and produce the tiny metal shavings that clog the solenoids among other things. i know this because I lost my trans mainly because of this a while back.

Now if you have a manual trans, you can smoke'em til you stink up the whole block with no real damage but rubber shaving.

Sorry this was long, but I would hate to see costly blown transmissions just for a little fun!!!!
Hehehe. This is where a Level 10 rebuild comes in handy. Hehehe. :D :p :cool:

·
Registered
347 Posts
code 8 robbing power

88 AT Coupe, no engine/frivetrain mods
Yes I can chirp, but not smoke (michelin pilots)
have only chirped in 2nd when the tranny was shifting rough
and yes, when my distributor went bad (or rather, when the TDC sensor went bad) I definately noticed a slight drop inpower, I put it down to the ECU running a safemode program, and used to reset my ECU by pulling the alt fuse when I wanted the car to feel 'right' again.
New distributor = felt like a new car, smooth idle, no power drop outs, smoother accel.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
'due to the design of this auto trans, when it shifts very hard or your tires catch traction suddenly, the clutches inside the trans get most of the abuse. When this happens, the cluch tends to slip a little and produce the tiny metal shavings that clog the solenoids among other things' ..

is there anything you can do to the transmission to stop that from happening?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Drive it like you really care about it. Seriously though, I know that frequent flushing helps alot and using synthetic oil is a good idea.

·
Registered
541 Posts
well where do the shavings go? because i have accidently tranny dropped once, and ive "caught traction" a few times as well. do the shavings go in the ATF?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts