Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to change my outer tie rod end, but I cant get the nut loose. I am trying to loosen the 19mm nut, but it doesnt come loose. I even sprayed it with WD-40 and tapped with hammer. Its coming to the point where I think that I am trying to open the wrong nut..
Its the 19mm one that connects that inner and outer tie rod. Right now the tie rod is in the steering knuckle, so I dont see why I need to use another 17mm wrench to hold it in place, like the Haynes Manual says. Can someone help me??

·
Registered
233 Posts
Make sure that it's not left-hand thread, I've only changed the right one, the driver side one could be L-H. It's the narrow nut just at the end of the tie-rod END.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
It's a normal thread. It's just seized and really tight. Try heating it up and letting it cool down a few times.
BTW WD40 is not a good penetrant, use something better like Super Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster. You need to brace the other end or you risk busting the joint itself. After that good luck loosening the other joint where you need to pull apart.

Been thru it, gave up.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How long should I heat it with a Propane Blowtorch?? I have a Benzomate one, but I have never used it on my car, just for soldering pipes.
So I just heat it up, and then try to loosen the nut? Should I tap with hammer?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.