Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A drunk illegal immigrant rear ended me tonight. He tried to run off by thankfully the cops took his sorry behind to jail.
Anyway, I have uninsured motorist insurance and was wondering what would constitute totaling a Legend? Will the insurance adjuster look at all the flaw my less-than-perfect legend have, or just the damage from the wreck when paying out for totaling it?
Also, I'm really unsure if it will be totaled at all. The back bumper must be replaced, and the trunk won't close, truck is slightly dented. It may have more damage, but I haven't seen it in daylight yet. Would this total the car?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
9,146 Posts
The insurance will take the Blue Book Value and the estimated cost of repair. If the cost of repair is greater than the Blue Book value then it is totaled. They will take into consideration pre-existing damage two ways. It is not included in the repair estimate, and the damage can be used to take away from the Blue Book value.

From your discription you should be fine. What are the stats on your Legend? Year, Trim, Trans., Mileage.

There is a great Legend guy that I know in Huntsville. He can probably do the repair work for you, then all you have to do is find a paint shop.

·
because i can.
10,163 Posts
NOTE:

Not all insurance companies go off of Kelley Blue Book or NADA, etc.

The bitches at Sentry Insurance went off some company called CCC that priced my shit at WAY lower that KBB or any other automobile appraising company would have...that was quite a fight because they WILL NOT HONOR ANYTHING that Blue Book has to say...as far as they are concerned, KBB or any other companies easily accessible to the public mean S-H-I-T!!!!

Do your homework before the insurance comes your way...otherwise they will have the upperhand and will screw you given the chance...

·
Registered
9,146 Posts
NOTE:

Not all insurance companies go off of Kelley Blue Book or NADA, etc.

The bitches at Sentry Insurance went off some company called CCC that priced my shit at WAY lower that KBB or any other automobile appraising company would have...that was quite a fight because they WILL NOT HONOR ANYTHING that Blue Book has to say...as far as they are concerned, KBB or any other companies easily accessible to the public mean S-H-I-T!!!!

Do your homework before the insurance comes your way...otherwise they will have the upperhand and will screw you given the chance...
This is true, but you can always use the current market to prove the value. I love to tell insurance companies to replace the car. I just hope it doesn't have a ton of miles on it.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Typically, insurance companies take the retail value of the car and if the estimated repairs exceed 70-75% of the retail value, they will total it. Thats the way its worked for my family in our last 4 wrecks.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The insurance will take the Blue Book Value and the estimated cost of repair. If the cost of repair is greater than the Blue Book value then it is totaled. They will take into consideration pre-existing damage two ways. It is not included in the repair estimate, and the damage can be used to take away from the Blue Book value.

From your discription you should be fine. What are the stats on your Legend? Year, Trim, Trans., Mileage.

There is a great Legend guy that I know in Huntsville. He can probably do the repair work for you, then all you have to do is find a paint shop.
Thanks for the advice guys.

Lee- its a 91 L, auto, 200k miles on car and about 70k on the JDM swap.

·
SGM / Type F
3,653 Posts

Glad you were not hurt by the idiot that rear ended you. Post up some pics of the damage when you get a chance, a lot easier to guesstimate repair costs that way. From your description it sounds like you might be able to get it fixed rather than totaled.

·
Registered
9,146 Posts

The mileage is going to kill your value. Being a first year and L don't help either, but none of this should have you totaled with the damage you describe. The swap will not help the value, but with the swap buying back from the insurance company makes more sence for you.

·
Banned
2,425 Posts
noooooo....how bad is the rest of the car?

I'd fix it out of pocket if u can afford it

·
-------------------------
1,973 Posts
The damage really doesn't look that bad at all. Is it only your bumper and tail light? Try buying the car back from the insurance company and fixing it yourself... Should have a decent little bit of change leftover!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The damage really doesn't look that bad at all. Is it only your bumper and tail light? Try buying the car back from the insurance company and fixing it yourself... Should have a decent little bit of change leftover!
Damage is to the bumper, tail light, and trunk.

·
SGM / Type F
3,653 Posts
This is an excellent suggestion, depending on what the ins. co. offers you for the settlement and buyback options. But I agree you could make a profit off this and still get to keep the Legend (albeit without a clear title).

·
Registered
567 Posts
Yea, they have a bad reputation with that and insurance companies. They are seriously overpriced. If the car is drivable, I would tie the trunk down and get different estimates. See how much the insurance wants to give you?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yea, they have a bad reputation with that and insurance companies. They are seriously overpriced. If the car is drivable, I would tie the trunk down and get different estimates. See how much the insurance wants to give you?
Thanks for that info, I will def get another quote. Insurance hasn't decided on how much to give me yet, I'll find out in a couple days. The car is idling really bad now- it feels like a piston isn't firing, and shake feeling begins happening faster and faster the longer it idles. Maybe the total lose isn't the worst thing that could happen.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Damn Lacy, sorry to hear this! I hope the Legend doesn't get totalled, there's some parts of mine on it! (I can't recal what I sold you......)

Hope it all works out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts