Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning my car (1991 Acura Legend Coupe LS) started up without a hitch and I drove it to work. When I went to drive it home it cranked but wouldn't start. No sign of combustion or anything, just continuous cranking, and the check engine light came on. I gave it a few minutes and tried again with my foot on the gas and it started. It smelled faintly of gas (which it sometimes does anyway). It drove home without issue.

I visually inspected all the fuses and the connections to the main relay and they all look fine. I've heard about main relays and crank position sensors going out on these cars, could that be it? I turned the ignition to I to charge my phone during my lunch break that day as well. The night before I helped jump start a friend's truck. Am I good to keep driving it or will this happen again?

·
Registered
35 Posts
This morning my car (1991 Acura Legend Coupe LS) started up without a hitch and I drove it to work. When I went to drive it home it cranked but wouldn't start. No sign of combustion or anything, just continuous cranking, and the check engine light came on. I gave it a few minutes and tried again with my foot on the gas and it started. It smelled faintly of gas (which it sometimes does anyway). It drove home without issue.

I visually inspected all the fuses and the connections to the main relay and they all look fine. I've heard about main relays and crank position sensors going out on these cars, could that be it? I turned the ignition to I to charge my phone during my lunch break that day as well. The night before I helped jump start a friend's truck. Am I good to keep driving it or will this happen again?
I had no start issue on my legend. It was the main fuel relay. I removed the relay and resoldered all points on pcba. There is high chance your problem is the cold solder joint.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That's right, the main relay causes problems when the ambient temperature is high. In my case the problem was the lack of starting when the days were very hot. The solution was a careful re-soldering on the electronic card (the relay). Very hot months are coming, I hope it continues to work and does not give me more problems. best regards! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's right, the main relay causes problems when the ambient temperature is high. In my case the problem was the lack of starting when the days were very hot. The solution was a careful re-soldering on the electronic card (the relay). Very hot months are coming, I hope it continues to work and does not give me more problems. best regards! :)
Thank you, it was very hot that day. I don't have much experience soldering but I will look into it, if I can't do it I'll just buy a new one and hope it was the problem

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is how it is!...one more solder point on each terminal and it will be fine if the solder is applied correctly, (recommending before flattening the base of each solder a little with a small flat screwdriver, push from top to bottom carefully scraping and removing the crusts that form on the base, then apply enough solder to cover all the points but make sure there is no soldering between points if necessary, help yourself with a magnifying glass.) This is what I did and it's been a year without problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts