Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 92 Legend L 4 door has an annoying problem. It jeaks whenever i accelerate/decelerate to/from 1st Gear. It also happens when I switch from Park to Drive or Reverse on a cold start early in the morning. Its less obvious when the car is warm.

Ive had a few engine/trans mounts changed, and it seemed to help, but that was more than a year ago, and the problem seems more obvious now.

I had another problem a couple of times where the RPMs would "bounce" up from 1k to 2k while in IDLE. The mechanic said i didnt have enough coolant, and that a sensor was being tripped to tell the engine to rev higher. Not sure if its related to the above.

Any help ??

·
Premium Member
9,173 Posts
that's true, when a automatic Honda transmission starts shifting softly, then you're gonna start having slippage problems.

It shifts hard to let you know that the car is alive!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I don't know guys it sounds like he has a problem.
It will always shift hard into second. Mine always has and any other legend I have driven does the same. I just replaced my tranny a couple of months ago. It was shifting funny into second and then would skip second alltogether. Have all your tranny mounts checked. It sound like you have already replaced at least one, but that is the easiest place to start.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
see my recent post in this board for "fluctuating idle"...your mechanic is probably correct. As for the jerking when putting into 1st gear from drive, not sure why you are doing this...when you drop it from 3rd or 4th gear into 1st, you put a tremendous strain on the drive train. The rpms of the engine will need to zoom up immediately at the moment you change from Drive to 1st gear at any particular speed, but the drive wheels are inducing this spinning rather than the engine....kind of like reverse thrusters! With an automatice it is not possible to rev engine to match gear selection like a manual. This will lead to problems with any number of components that are not supposed to be subjected to this routinely. If you "kick down" the tranny by flooring the gas pedal, you at least are providing the engine with some acceleration and gives it an opportunity to match rpm with gear train. Manual downshifting an auto regularly like this will wind up with damage to clutches and shock mounts and backlash gears in the drive train, including CV joints.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I've always had the same issue. Especially when it's cold. I think it's an OEM issue :cool: .

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
As already mentioned, the Legend has a firm upshift. You could try an A/T flush refilling with Honda A/T fluid. Check the idle adjustment. You should also make sure that your radiator has not started to leak or crack.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts