Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Being that my old legend got stolen. What do you suggest to prevent theives from stealing the legend? This is what I came up with:

-Top Quality Alarm (clifford)
-the club
-hood lock (does anyone know where I can buy this? or a specific brand that will work for the legend?)
-wheel locks
-an air horn wired to a seperate battery that hidden

any other suggestions?

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Don't get the club. Compleatly useless. Get that Autolok thing. You know, the thing that locks either your brake peddle or you clutch. Uh, another thing is Lojac (even though cops hate it with a vengence). You can also go GPS tracking (if you're willing to pay every month for the service). Get the Clifford. And if you want to go all out, you can hire yourself a group of comandos to watch over your car while you're away.:D I do have a AR-15 that I wanna put to use. ;)

·
GS Hog
7,026 Posts
1. Agreed
2. Not worth the hassle, IMO.
3. Good idea, but may not be needed if you have a solid alarm system, and a good installer.
4. Can't hurt.
5. Install it inside the cabin area. ;)
6. There is another product that actually attaches to your starter, and cannot (apparently) be disabled because it becomes part of the starter motor. I can't remember the name of it right now, but if you're looking for an absolute way of disabling your starter, word is that this is the way to go. It is NOT an alarm system.
7. Tracking device (if after all that, it still gets stolen).

Aren't you in the L.A. area? If so, I can recommend a place.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Oh, and realize that if somebody wants to steal your car, they will. No doubt about that, but these tools are to minmize the risk of your car acctually getting stolen and to maximize the chances of getting your car back if it is.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes i'm in the LA area, can you recommend some places?

thanks

·
GS Hog
7,026 Posts
The place that I get all of my stuff done is Automotive Entertainment of Pasadena. (626) 577-1200. Just tell them that Graeme sent you.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
frebay said:
Hi All,
Being that my old legend got stolen. What do you suggest to prevent theives from stealing the legend? This is what I came up with:

-Top Quality Alarm (clifford)
-the club
-hood lock (does anyone know where I can buy this? or a specific brand that will work for the legend?)
-wheel locks
-an air horn wired to a seperate battery that hidden

any other suggestions?
HEY I HAVE A QUESTION! :)

If you get a separate battery for like music stuff, could you hook up an air horn to that separate battery in case the battery cables get cut somehow? That'd be an interesting project.... :)

·
Registered
701 Posts
Hey every little thing helps

The club.... still one more thing they gotta work against
Hey how bout two of those babies ?:D

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
Re: Hey every little thing helps

vrb747 said:
The club.... still one more thing they gotta work against
Hey how bout two of those babies ?:D
Yea, but it takes no more than 15 seconds to defeat the club. But in the mean time your steering wheel gets messed up. I rather keep the leather wheel in tact just in case you get the car back.

As for the autolock on the brake pedel for automatic cars, I see of no way that is any real help unless the guy steels your car and drives in traffic. Let see, since when you do actually need to depress the brake to drive a car? Yo can still slow using engine braking and stop using the hand brake.

Auto lock on the clutch pedal is a little better, but you can still start the car in gear and actaully drive away using clutchless shifting. HAve you ever heard the poor people who bypassed the clutch interlock for their remote start (I have done this myself ) and had their car drive away into a wall? (I haven't had my car drive away though). Shifting whithout the clutch is not easy, but not hard either. I;m sure a theif could at least get your car to a remote location late at night to strip whatever he wants.

Alarm IMHO is the best bet. Sure, like some people said if someone wants your car they will get it. (Like Tow trunk or Flat bed trunk) but if they can't start your car, they can't move it without towing it. There are many ways to interupt the vital electrical parts that need to work in order to get a car started. Ignition, starter, fuel pump, ECU. Simply interupt them all. Locating the alarm brain the pulling it out can disable it, but it may not disable it either. There are two ways to wire an interupt cicuit. Fale safe and Fail secure. If you are in fai secure mode, than you actually need a working alarm brain before the car will run and function, so if they remove the brain, the car will not function. Sure, a thief could spend the time jumping all the correct wires, but one of the car magazines had two pro auto alarm installers and some car theirs try and steel a car that had a typical alarm installation done. ALl could steel the car, but it took anywhere from 3 minute to about 9 mintues to do so. It all depends on how goo the alarm is installed and what features you have. With my multiple interupt system, I'd bet it would take about 6-9 minutes to steel my car (Other than a towing method). That is more than enough time to discourage all but the most hard core professional car thiefs. I hav seen Gone in 60 Seconds and many of their techniques where good but outdated.

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
Re: Re: car theft prevention suggestions

jose3030 said:

HEY I HAVE A QUESTION! :)

If you get a separate battery for like music stuff, could you hook up an air horn to that separate battery in case the battery cables get cut somehow? That'd be an interesting project.... :)
Car alarm back up sirens come with their own battery now days.

·
Registered
368 Posts
a kill switch would be a good idea

for example, to start up your car youd have to pull the windshield wiper handle forward and turn the key to the ignition

·
Registered
23 Posts
get the aladdin alarm
its from japan, has an LCD keychain that you carry around. it has an image of a car, if your car alarm goes off, it'll alert you. ie: someone messes with your trunk, the trunk in the LCD image will flash. quite useful since most car alarms all sound the same nowadays and most ppl dont seem to care when car alarms are goign crazy.
also, lojack, autolock, a hidden battery, and some cool bright red or blue LED lights :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
can anyone in New Jersey recommend a place for auto and security installs? i'm in Central Jersey area.

im in the market for an alarm system (I live in New Jersey, ever see the movie New Jersey Drive?) so i need a decent security system, so far i'm thinking about a pager alarm or for a few extra bucks, the Viper 900 ESP.. i'mgonna get that lock thing for the brake too, but I have a few q's,

1. How Exactly does a Kill Switch work? examples please.

2. Do any of you have an opinion on either alarm systems im looking at? Pager Alarm or Viper 900 ESP.

3. Whats a good Clifford alarm package? Matrix 3 looks cool

·
Registered
368 Posts
Bryan, good call on the clifford .. thats the best system out there <in terms of alarm systems>

the kill switch is a switch that needs to be enabled when you turn the key to start the car

here are a few examples in my families past car;
1. windshield wiper handle had to be pulled forward while key was being turned to start up
2. Power seat forward button had to be pushed while turning the key to start the car
3. windows lock button had to be turned to on before the key was turned in order to let it start up

if they weren't enabled while turning the key, th car would just sit there

·
Registered
46 Posts
yeah im pretty sure im gonna go with the clifford, the kill switch sounds cool i wouldnt mind putting one in my car.. thanks hurley =]

·
*r**h *eller
1,920 Posts
One of the best things is a time delay fuel shutoff. Nothing will make a thief bail faster than a dead car in the middle of the road.

That of course assumes they want the car and not the ICE system.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Dave C ver2.0 hit the nail right on the head....

I dunno bout no time delay though - cause I just flip my switch and it won't start period - right then and there.

I said this on the old forum and will say it again.

As far as theft of the entire vehicle - LESS as tow truck being used to remove the vehicle from the scene.

You ladies and gentlemen need to install a kill switch - one that interrupts power to the fuel pump.

Point blank / plain and simple - go gas - no start.

KNLNGUS

·
*r**h *eller
1,920 Posts
Problem with kill switches is the thiefs know they are always located within the drivers reach. If the puppy won't start they search out the switch while they're in the relative seclusion of a driveway or parking lot.

It used to be easy with carburated cars as you could install a fuel line cutoff and the car would go about a half block on the float bowls. Not so easy with fuel injection.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
where can i find out more info about kill switches? are they easy to install??

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
What if you have an alarm that has multiple programable functions (I have an Alpine) and hook up a fuel cut-off relay to one of the auxilary functions, such that you program it in such a way that you have to press that particular function button on your remote to trigger the relay.

This way there is no physical switch for the thief to hit and the only way it can work is through the remote, which causes the alarm to send that 12V signal to the auxilary wire of choice to your relay. I have 7 auxilary programmable functions on my alarm system, imagine putting 3 or 4 different relays, one to each button. Sure it'll be more of a pain in the @ss to press 5 buttons on your remote to get your car disarmed and ready to start, but it's virtually impossible to start (unless the thief knows which 5 wires to run the 12V to, but you can also mix normaly open and normaly closed relays such that some relays only click once power is taken AWAY from them).

You guys think this is feasable and worthwhile doing?

G

1 - 20 of 28 Posts