Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i went jogging this morning...took the car to the lake and back home...everything was fine...around 5 in the afternoon i had to go pick up my little sister so i hopped in the car stuck the key in the ignition and when i turned the key...nothing happend! i thought it was my alarm...if the car is armed the engine won't start...but it wasn't....so i popped open the hood to see if the battery was attached....and it was fine.....i tried starting the car again and i heard nothing but a loud click everytime i turned the key....i made an attempt to push start the car(its a 5spd)...and the car started...but as soon as i turned the car off and back on the same thing would happen...*click*help a brotha out....could it be the starter? thanks in advance...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Sounds like your starter went south , The loud click is the solenoid engaging but the starter is not turning, so you get nada.
You can jumper straight to the solenoid on the starter from the battery (make sure the transmission is in neutral ) If it turns over that way then the problem is somewhere between the ignition switch to the stater itself.
I just replaced the starter on my 88, other then the bolts being tighter then hell, it wasn't too difficult. Pull the drivers side wheel off to get to the lower bolt.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no..i've tried starting it that way as well...nothing but the loud click..so i guess i'm off to looking for a new starter...so how much are we talkin about? btw thanks for your reply stsrus :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
I paid $89.00 for a rebuilt starter at a local shop. I believe that NAPA wanted $114.00 and didn't have it in stock. I'd be too scared to even check with Acura .

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok..so paid about $75 bucks for a brand new starter and just installed it today myself...installation was fine...but then i turned the ignition and i hear a nasty ass noise....kinda like the noise u hear from trying to start ur car while its already on....but the thing is the car hasn't even started yet and its making that noise when i hit the key...any ideas? or is it that i have to "break it in" ?? thanks in advance

·
Registered
137 Posts
you didn't get the starter gears lined up properly with your flywheel, probably. It was the hardest part for me putting in my starter. make sure that the starter's housing is flush all around before bolting both bolts. (it was eaiser for me to bolt the top bolt almost all the way in, then adjust the starter and connect the lower bolt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts