Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone out there changed their original cat to a high flow cat, or even straight exhuast tubing??? If so how much performance did you pick up, and what happened to the sound of the exhaust?????

·
Five- O
857 Posts
I purchased a hi- flow cat and stromung b-pipe from Jose 3030.
I currently have the stromung exhaust on my car. I'm plannign on having everything installed soon. as per noise I'm assuming that it will get alittle louder. Not sure about performance. i'll let u know

Esti

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Esti-
I have the stromung b-pipe and the muffler, i was in on that group buy on the forums.legend.org site. I am looking at getting a high flow cat, any idea if jose3030 bought it or made it????

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
mattw007 said:
Esti-
I have the stromung b-pipe and the muffler, i was in on that group buy on the forums.legend.org site. I am looking at getting a high flow cat, any idea if jose3030 bought it or made it????
He bought it from a company called DEC.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yo vince-
Any more info on this company?????

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have an 88 coupe, i took the converter off the exhaust and rammed a rod through the cat to hollow out all the crap that blocks up these engines. Im not sure of an exact figure of how much H.P. i gained, but i can say it made a big differance. Probally at least(15-20 h.p.) The sound is pretty much the same also ,nice and quiet,but there is a faint rumble in the hollowed out cat when i really get on the gas. IMO all catalytic converters rob horsepower and gas milage from the car and half of the converters ive seen are melted into a solid hunk a mass that just literally clogges the exhaust and helps burn your valves too. If you live in an area that dont require emmissions testing i recommend removing the converter or hollowing it out(youll love your baby even more)after you realize the change. Most of the time the motor will still pass the emissions test as long as it has a nice tune and up to par with the air/fuel mixture, so as long as the cat is still there,the inspector never suspects it is hollow. This is the biggest MOD youll probally be able to do to get free H.P. from you legend. Oh BY THE WAY I had a run in with a new 2001 mustang gt the other night, and if you can believe i smoked his ass all the way up to late 3rd gear and he really started to pull away from me when his powerband started to kick in, but still i smoked him off the line and held more than half a car length on him till he hit 3rd gear. hard to believe because i hardly believe it myselfe, but im sure he was distrought :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you hollowed out the original cat, how long did that take??? I kow you just ram a pipe through it to break the insides. I was just thinking of getting my friends exhaust shop to make a piece of regular exhaust pipe to replace the cat, that way if i ever need to get it checked for emissions, I can just put the cat back on.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Has anyone else done that????

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I remember Alexei Voloshin would always chime in on cat removal topics. He would note that cars are designed to work wiht catalytic converters, and removing them would make them a lot more inefficient and isn't worth the effort vs. a high-flow cat.

·
Registered
155 Posts
vince said:
I remember Alexei Voloshin would always chime in on cat removal topics. He would note that cars are designed to work wiht catalytic converters, and removing them would make them a lot more inefficient and isn't worth the effort vs. a high-flow cat.
I remember someone saying something about this not really applying to older cars... I'm guessing this means 80s...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts