Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i went out to clean up my engine bay a little bit and saw this a little bit of fluid leaking out under the toptank and radiator. it was just a little but i'm freaking out.

So at 8 this morning i called up my mech. and got a quote of $650 parts/labor. I thought NO way, how hard could it possibly be. so i called up a partner of mine who does his own work and he told me we'd do it. So if anyone has a link to oem radiator for 94 auto sedan and thermostat/gasket please hit me quick. so far fluid in radiator was full but i'm taking no chances. thanks guys oh also i read on a sr5guy post that should be type 2 blue fluid?

·
Premium Well Wisher
2,776 Posts
yes....go to a dealership and get Type II blue coolant

Honda coolant is silicate-free which is better for water pump seals and other things

and you can def do the radiator replacement with your friend...pretty straight forward stuff

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
where do I get the radiator

from the pic's you can't really see it green but there where the radiators fins are brass looking it had a little dribble. thanks for stiffining up my spine now i'm for sure gonna do it with a friend of mine. that is as soon as i get the absolute correct radiator. Please, would one off of ebay like from radiators-r-us be real? real meaning OEM?

·
Premium Well Wisher
2,776 Posts
the radiators on eBay are aftermarket replacements for the most part...true OEM is very expensive.

I've seen people on here going with an aluminum Koyo radiator...that's what I'll buy next time

·
Registered
380 Posts
yeah my radiator did the same thing but luckily i had an extra from my parts car. :)

·
FIXER
1,717 Posts
Tip: Leave the fans attached to the radiator when you pull it out. Swap everyyhing over to the new one and reinstall

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hey, just got a KOYO aluminum fins / plastic top from Go-parts.com...
$ 140. in the box...shipped...tough to get on the phone, but the email communication was right on time and exact...and i got that advice from MR. Peacock and he was spot on (FTW!)

JET DOC, thank you for the fan advice, I'm just about to tackle the same job.,..
GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks!!!

Was your radiator for an automatic? is there a problem with Koyo and automatics? went to go-parts.com and sent them an email. Where to get the radiator is my only hold up. will go in the day i get it along with a new thermostat/gasket and type 2 coolant (blue). think i read somewhere that koyo and automatics were ok starting in 94 but not sure. thank you for the link and advice.

·
Registered
313 Posts
yes ,
1995 4 door LS auto...I have done alot of searching, and thread reading, and i have not come across any issues with koyo and Legend auto's ? but i could be wrong, BUT i hope not...

get the A for aluminum, not the C for copper.
good luck!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hi jetdoc!!_thanks for the fan tip, i'm in Florida working but if I was back home i'd 4 sure hit you up direct pm. I'm gonna check out/learn from some of your past threads!! Thank you greatoutdoors for the type 2 blue info. Question though, if it has green fluid in it now; when i drain the coolant will there still be some of the green coolant still inthere and mix with the blue? going to go pick up the coolant and thermastat/gasket right now. going to do it tomorrow with my buddy. so if anything else anyone can recommend i will be checking this thread all night. thanks the coolant in the radiator is still full, but the overflow tank only has a little bit of coolant in it. i've not seen any deviation from the normal temp readings so as long as all goes good tom,orrow ..:woot:

·
Cassis Red Pearl
618 Posts
Type II Blue Coolant

What is this Type II Blue coolant? I was thinking about flushing my cooling system soon. I've been looking into performance coolants such as Engine Ice. I don't have any overheating problems, but figured better safe than sorry with the known problems with these cars. Is the Type II blue stuff only for the Type II engines or should I use that in my non-Type II for extra protection? What is it exactly?

·
Premium Well Wisher
2,776 Posts
Thank you greatoutdoors for the type 2 blue info. Question though, if it has green fluid in it now; when i drain the coolant will there still be some of the green coolant still inthere and mix with the blue? [\QUOTE]

yes...to get rid of the green you need to flush

here's a coolant flush DIY (THANKS BALLISTIC)
make sure you read the entire thread...there are more pics and stuff on page 2

http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/f4/coolant-flush-75618/#post695113

(from that thread)
There is a short cut to flushing your cooling system completely. I will write the steps for you.

1. Remove your radiator cap and drain your radiator:

2. Remove your upper radiator hose:

3. Underneath the car, next to the oil filter, there a coolant line which will allow you to remove 95% of your coolant. When you remove the clamp, coolant will flood out.
(in the picture, it's the bottom middle(ish)

4. Now, get your favorite water hose and spray water into where the upper radiator hose goes. This will flush out the remaining coolant out of the clamp you just removed from underneath the car.

5. Keep in mind, your cooling system will now hold a small amount of water. Now, pour coolant down the same hole you sprayed water down until the hose underneath the car is flushing out coolant.

6. Connect the hose underneath the car. Screw back in your radiator drain plug, reconnect the upper radiator hose and BLEED your system.

to bleed cooling system:
http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/883766-post7.html

·
Premium Well Wisher
2,776 Posts
What is this Type II Blue coolant? I was thinking about flushing my cooling system soon. I've been looking into performance coolants such as Engine Ice. I don't have any overheating problems, but figured better safe than sorry with the known problems with these cars. Is the Type II blue stuff only for the Type II engines or should I use that in my non-Type II for extra protection? What is it exactly?
Type II coolant is just the name that Honda put on their coolant...Honda guys use the same stuff (but if you buy it at Acura, it says Acura Type II Coolant on the bottle). it's better to use b/c it's silicate free vs the Prestone's of the world...but you probably already read that

anyway, I called up Acura of Tempe to confirm and they said yes, use Type II coolant in all G2 Legends ('91-'95). it's a little pricey but it's pre-mixed (no diluting needed).

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All done.

well, thanks for the guidance. here are some pics.
my partner Pete

the new KOYO radiator that i got from ebay go-part auto parts

here's the radiator hole

draining out the Greeeeenn

got the green out using the flush method

Pete starting the out of car fan swap over

almost

and it's all done.

nah not to hard but was real scary thinking something would go wrong. but easy as pie. feel very confident that all is right now. thank you all

·
Registered
643 Posts
nice work! 650 is a rip. i could see 350 after taxes and coolant for the whole deal. nice to save some money and have some fun workin on the legend though

·
Just Another Guy
555 Posts
I've got the same radiator as you had Froma, and I've been noticing some increased amount of coolant coming out from somewhere on the top and settling along the rim of the top. So I ordered the Aluminum Koyo from Go-part. My radiator is about 5 years old anyway. I actually had to replace one of the A/C suction pipes on this radiator cause it slowly rubbed into one of the pipes.

How much Type II coolant did you buy? How much about? Thx.

-Ed

·
Spiral descent
5,004 Posts
Lookin' good, nice pictures. I love how nice new radiators look.

should have done the waterpump at the same time :p
Not necessarily, unless the car is due for it of course. There is quite a bit more work to do to get to that point, and a lot more to do to put it back together.
If that was the case he should have done the timing belt and the tensioner at the same time too.

·
Just Another Guy
555 Posts
Got the new Koyo in!!! Take home advice for anyone reading this, is that if you have the metal top radiator pictured above by FromaQ, its a good idea to check it out frequently for leaks especially if its a few years old. Or just replace it.

-Ed

1 - 20 of 20 Posts