Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine has challenged me to a race against his 1993 Ford Taurus SHO. I have a 1987 LS Coupe. We both have automatic trannys. What are my chances here since I'm still getting my feet wet with racing (dragging)?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Forget it. The 3.2L Yamaha engine in the auto SHO is much more sophisticated and powerful than the Legend's 2.5. or 2.7. Without siginificant mods, the legend will lose to a SHO. If I remeber correctly, 0-60 times for an auto was in the low 7 second range, and a manual was in the high 6 second range.

·
Registered
685 Posts
weeeel I dont think so, I have beat a 93 ford taurus, but it was just a regular model, now the sho is a lottt faster

·
Registered
867 Posts
not a chance, those SHO models are rare and possess 220+ horses

0 to 60 will be close but the tarus will leave you in dust around 40 mph

·
Registered
386 Posts
THE RACE WITH A SHO!!!!!!!!!!

If I were you I would back down from this one even with an intake and exhaust you still can't win. The sho has more power and torque and in order for the legend to take him some internal engine work is a MUST. The only way I see you hanging with him is if you guy race down a back road with lots of twist and turns in a straight line your A$$ IF FRIED so don't do it.:cool:

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
3.0L 220HP Yamaha engine in that Taurus. The Legend wont be able to take it without severe modifications.

You know what's funny? Ford made a good V6... too bad the engine was not even theirs!!! The 1994 V6 Mustang had a 145HP, LoL... they got a little more respectable in 2000 I think, with a 190HP V6. I think Ford makes pretty good V8s though ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
my race with a sho

ok i have a legend 88 ls auto and it has your reg. bolt on mods.(it's fast) and about three days ago i raced a sho from a red light to about 1/4 mile. Anyways the sho had a real good jump and was moving good but once my power band hit in (from s3 to s4) that was it i took him.I must admit i thought he had me and his was all stock.Hate to see one with some mods. So go ahead and race rember you cant win them all but you can sure try!

·
Registered
27 Posts
there is no way you beat a sho with an older legend, unless he gave up to avoid a ticket or something, I have a sho and a 1992 Acura legend, and the sho will smoke the legend, the legend is an auto and the sho is a manual, but even a six speed gen 2 can't hang with the sho. Personally I like the look of either style legend over the sho but the sho seats are a little comfier. Put it this way, the sho does approx 44MPH in 1st gear and about 75 in 2nd gear, and its a 5 speed! the Sho revs to 7,000 with no trouble, and with a $300 chip, it will rev to 7,800, they were built to rev to 10,000 and have 300+ HP but for de-tuned it so the v8 mustangs were still faster.

So again either he gave up, or it could have even been a poorly maintained engine, bad clutch, a number of things, but I know that my sho vs your legend I would have no problem racing for titles!:D :2cool:

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, oooollllddddddd thread. I forgot I even asked this question 2 years ago...:)

·
because i can.
10,163 Posts
I test drove an 89 SHO a long time before I got my Legend. Even the 1st gen SHO was a f*ing beast! That particular one I drove had a pretty ratty interior though and I decided not to get it (plus Im not really much a Ford man). BUT...if i did run into a nice looking one for the right price, I think its still in my blood to get it...also the clutches wear out SUPER quick on those SHO's

·
Registered
230 Posts
There is one for sale at the end of my street. I just thought it was a funny looking car. I mean, a sooped up Taurus??? I'll have to go look at it...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just traded my SHO for an 89 legend 5 speed, IF you look at the cost of maintaining a SHO you won't want one, unless you can afford it! Every 60K you have to do a $1400 maintenance on the motor, to adjust the valves, timing belt, water pump..blah blah.. my sho had 122,000 miles on it, and was very quick, especially on the freeway, when passing, it is no problem at all! it feels like it has more than 220HP . BUT I just feel alot more confident in the acura, the average legend I see for sale has 170,000 or more, even more than 220,000 so you know you have a reliable car! Andthe one I just traded for only has 107,000 miles! Bottom line is, there is always someone faster than you, even if you have the brand new subaru wrx sti, so you might as well find a quick car that you like the style of alot, and can afford to maintain, also reliablity is a good thing! So my choice was the acura! 1989 5 speed coupe LL

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yeah, the shos look a little dorky being a taurus. I never would have expected them to be fast just by the way they look, I guess the same with the legend- although less dorky.

·
Registered
27 Posts
the only thing I really like about the sho, is the look on the guys face with the lowered civic as he gets smoked by a Taurus! They get used to beating the regular tauruses ans then a sho sneaks up on them! lol I am much happier with my Legend, definately not as fast, but it is still quick and I like the style much more.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts