Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my oil pan gasket this past weekend. It is not a difficult project - just took about 4 hrs. Definitely a DIY project if your oil pan gasket is leaking. If anyone needs specific instructions, let me know and I will post them. Also switched from dino to synthetic blend oil.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Oil Pan Gasket

Rick,
My 90 legend coupe is in need of a change in oil pan gasket. The dealer changed it 50,000km ago(30,000 miles) and it started leaking soon after. I don't trust them to fix it so I am going to attempt to change it myself. I would be very much interested in the instructions.

By the way, was the replacement gasket rubber or cork and what kind of gasket sealer did you use?

Thanks.
Chuck

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The gasket I bought at the Acura dealer - personally, considering the time involved, a few more dollars for an OEM rubber gasket is well worth it. Didn't use any sealer. In all the details I read, none discussed a gasket sealer. Also, ask the dealer about the replacement and they didn't mention it. Moreover, there was no sealant on the old gasket or mounting surface.

As far as the procedure, have to drain oil, remove the brace under engine that has hook on it and remove 3 bolts on both of the exhaust manifolds. The manifolds just pulls down a few inches and can be pushed to either side a few inches as needed. I also had to loosen and swing down a black metal cover on the end of the tranny so I could get my 3/8 inch extension onto the pan bolts on the tranny end (extra 5 minutes). If you have a 1/4 inch extension, then you may not have to do this. The pan pulled off relatively easy and wiped it clean. Then replaced gasket and reinstalled the pan, oil and new filter and reattached manifolds and the brace.

If I was doing it again, I would buy 6 new locking bolts that hold up the 2 exhaust manifolds. While they went back together okay, a couple of them tried to strip from the inside - never seen it happen before.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts