Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im changing out the driver side of the front axle. the part im getting it from is a 1988 2dr automatic into a 1989 2dr manual both have anti lock brakes. is there any difference? will it work? need some answers before i do any major work, thanks.

long live the legend

·
Mo*or Mo**h
1,722 Posts
The driver's side part will match. The other side will not.

But, it's not generally recommended to swap used axles.
You could end up with the same problem you have now.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The driver's side part will match. The other side will not.

But, it's not generally recommended to swap used axles.
You could end up with the same problem you have now.
thats right but the one im going to get is new seem like it was just put in. you can tell when you find a really good one even if its considered used. thanks to your helpful info my legend will live to see another day.

much appreciation

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
KAHruzer said:
it's not generally recommended to swap used axles.
acuralegend_racer said:
the one im going to get is new seem like it was just put in.
I always get my axle replacement from the junkyards and have yet to run into problems, then again I've got more flexibility; non-ABS... so mine is more interchangeable with the ABS kind :D

·
Mo*or Mo**h
1,722 Posts
what is the difference between the abs and non abs shafts

The ABS version of an axle has the ABS Sensor Ring which tells the wheel sensor the axle is going 'round.

This brings up another issue, however.

When I changed my axle, the ABS Sensor at the wheel was waaaaay overly crusted with crud, likely making it dysfunctional. It made me wonder how many of our failed ABS systems are a result of these sensors (any of 4 of 'em) being packed with road raunch.

I'm betting half of the ABS lights would go away if one were to clean these sensors at each wheel.

Here's a pic of mine before cleaning and after:

....seems the ABS System as a whole would somehow work better if all four looked like the lower pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's a pic of mine before cleaning and after:

....seems the ABS System as a whole would somehow work better if all four looked like the lower pic.
verys useful info, ive never even noticed.

·
Mo*or Mo**h
1,722 Posts
Good Lord what did you use to clean it!!?? It looks brand new!!! :bowdown:
LOL, that's funny. You'll be pleased to know the vast majority of it occurred with the tip of a flat blade screwdriver. Finished up with an oily rag wipe.

Doesn't take much to make it 'reappear'.

Problem is it's hard to do with the hub in place.
I'm going to have to look up this sensor and read more about it.
I think it a magnetic type sensor, with the pull pulsing an ON/OFF switch with the undulations of the axle sensor ring. If so, heavy debris like mine could really affect things.

Here's another pic of both the pre-cleaned sensor and the old axle. Besides the obvious boot issue (it had been clicking over a year), note the flatness of both the bottom of the sensor and the sensor ring on the axle. The axle ring is also full of crap between the solids. It could be this is more significant than the stuff around the sensor since the sensor tip tends to remain close to the axle ring. If so, a cleaning of the ring may be more important and can be done without removing the hub. Much simpler.

The amount of rust also bothered me until I realized most of it is on friction-free parts. But, it shows why a lathering of grease in these places is good.

btw, all of these photos were taken on 2007-11-11. I changed the batteries in the camera and failed to notice it requires resetting the date.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts