Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
4,259 Posts
L said:
Has anyone ever change their valve seals on here and if they did how easy is it.
Not an easy task but it can be done... removal of all associated parts (disassembly) will take up most of your time, cylinder heads needs to come off, disassembly required, C-clamp style valve spring compressor and special valve seal removal tools needed.

Also, need micrometer to check valve stem diameter, caliper to check valve spring, dial gauge to check valve stem to guide clearance and most importantly valve order, you do not want to mix em all up, they have to be put back in the same order... didn't want to scare yah! hope this helps and good luck! ;)

· Registered
658 Posts
This is not for the faint-of-heart or typical modern weekend mechanic.

· Registered
638 Posts
i guess your talking about a valve job, you might aswell do a engine rebuild while your at it. its very tedious work if you dont know what your getting yourself into. you'd probably be better off if you can find a good used JDM engine, cost you a little over what a mechanic would charge to do a valve job but you'd be alot more happy with the end result. plus you'll have your old engine out of your car and all the time in the world to play with it.

you can try adjusting your exhaust valves, im not sure if they could cause the problems associated with valve seals, like burning oil, but it will usually fix tapping, its very easy to do though if you havent looked into that already

· Registered
4,259 Posts
L said:
What's a JDM motor?
Another term for premium quality used Japanese (JDM) engines and tranny's imported directly from Japan for our import cars... same goes with (USDM) and (EDM). :)

· Looking for Blk/Bk GS6MT
1,354 Posts
I did my valve cover seals on my G2. It took a while to take all the parts off to even get to valve cover off.

· Registered
638 Posts
Japanese domestic market, anything that comes from japan is jdm, jdm car parts arent set up to conform to all the laws in the US, they were built only for use in japan and misc countries allowing it, they are oem parts the way they were ment to be with better engineering.

i dont know if this is true or not but i heard they are cheaper because in japan a car only gets about give or take 50k miles on them before they cant pass emissions, then they are stripped for parts and sent to the US, and they are so plentifull they sell cheap. but be carfull, 50k miles in japan might be like having 250k miles in the US because its tedious stop and go driving. a depending the area the car came from a 45min drive for them could be less than 10 miles

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.