Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cleaned out my throttle body for the first time ever and all it cost was a $2.50 can of cleaner. I cleaned it because of a rough idle. It helped and all of the sudden my car is very peppy. Maybe it is just thanking me for giving it a little TLC. :p

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All the help topics I found dealt with simply spraying into the TB, waiting, spraying more then running and spraying. I would have no problem taking the TB out to do the work if you think it is a simple thing to do. What is involved - tools and time, etc?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Decided to give it a try today...started cleaning the TB by just spraying into it with the engine off and intake tube removed. It cleaned allright...plenty of black coming out, but I decided that wasn't enough. To remove the throttle body there are 4 main bolts (12mm) at the four corners of the body. There are also 2 10mm bolts holding a shock absorbing brace. Also to disconnect are the intake tube, one elctrical connector under the throttle body, two coolant hoses connecting under the throttle body, two vacuum hoses, and the throttle cable. To remove the throttle cable you have to move the trottle with your hands to give slack to the cable and then slide the end piece out. Once I had the thing out I spent a few moments cleaning it with the TB cleaner and wiping away all the black till it shined. Reinstall in reverse and you're done in about half an hour.

So...the tools you'll need are 10mm and 12 mm sockets with medium extension bar, screw driver (if any of your clamps are screw driven), pair of pliers (to remove some clamps), TB cleaner spray, and a rag.

Pretty simple to do...as far as performance goes, may give you some better throttle response. I usually chalk my "gains' to the placebo effect. Even if it's only placebo...can't go wrong spending 3 bucks and learning about your car.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I used the TB cleaner made by chevron...used it as it was the only product at the auto parts store that said it was specifically for TBs. Probably could use almost any sort of carb, TB cleaner. I chose the TB specific brand because I had heard that some carb cleaners can damage a TB by removing a special coating? Not sure if it's true but I wasn't taking the chance.

·
Registered
152 Posts
So you sprayed the stuff in while the engine was running? Did the engine die at all? Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Well actually I was aiming that question towards Biyonic. :)

·
Registered
646 Posts
Acurately Legendery said:
Well actually I was aiming that question towards Biyonic. :)
oops :****: ...I hadn't seen him post here for a couple of months...hopefully he'll see your question.

·
Registered
814 Posts
blacklegendcoupe89 said:
What throttle body product did you people use?
I use a generic carb cleaner, its a black and red can @ canadian tire
it says it is for carbs, tb's pcv valves, etc
my friend used this stuff on his OLD 4cylinder ford (looked like a tractor engine)... a little in the carb would help it start when it was being cranky(he had bad fuel lines)...carb cleaner won't make an engine stall..just don't spray too much or it can explode (once had a 4' flame shoot out of his carb...that was cool)
also works great on hard to clean pans

BP

·
Registered
99 Posts
body9599 said:
no...i removed the TB and cleaned it with the spray and a toothbrush...that's the best way to get it really clean.
One thing that confuses me a bit: many of the TB cleaning products recomend spraying into the TB with the engine running, is this because it is supposed to not only clean the TB but the interior of the intake main manifold? To me it sounds like it wouldn't be that healthy for the engine to combust lots of TB cleaner (I guess that is why they also recomend driving the car right away after using the product). I also read in other places that to get the best results the TB has to be removed and cleaned by hand just as you did. I plan to do that, so my question is: once I remove the TB and clean it, would it be still good/bad to spray TB cleaner with the engine running?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Well I sprayed it while the engine was running and it was ok, I drove it afterwards. But you have to basically floor the choke so it opens up so you can actually get some spray in there and make it worth your while. Cuz if you just spray it with the engine idling normally, none of the spray will get in there since the choke is closed. :) I didnt notice any real difference after I did it though. Ah well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.