Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone....
Today i started my car in my garage to let it warm up, and while i was standing there after about five minutes the car began to make a clicking noise. It came out of the blue, the car was idling normally and then there was this random clicking. I tried revving the engine, but the clicking only got faster when i did this. Then i shut her off and restarted, but to no avail. After driving around all day, the noise is still there and is coming from the engine bay. Anyone have any ideas on what it might be? Its somewhat loud and very noticable, not to mention that its annoying the hell out of me. I have a 91 legend auto coupe. Oh yea, the car drives no differently and there are no lights coming on in the cosole..... so....................... im clueless................
thanx
MD

·
I'van der Rohe
12,803 Posts
is it clicking like tick tick tick or clock clock clock. tick might just be you need oil but if you hear clock clock clock, you've done a bad thing clock is a bad rod bearing or bent rod. be careful.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Your car has hydraulic valve tappets which can occasionally stick and create a ticking or just wear to the point that they do not dampen the valve noise as they should. This can create a minor clearance that you perceive as a ticking or clicking. Sometimes this takes care of itself and frees up, but most of the time it signals the need to clean or replace the offending tappet. If you have not been religious about changing oil, it can show up here by gummy deposits. The tappet is like a miniature shock absorber, a cylinder within a cylinder. Of course, the first thing you need to do is make sure you have enough oil in the crankcase! Without adequate oil, they leak down and get noisy. Most of the time if it is a minor ticking (common on hi mileage cars) it really isn't hurting much except bothering you with the tick. Sometimes a can of oil detergent additive can free up gummy tappets. You should be able to locate the offending tappet with a long screwdriver used as a stethoscope on the valve cover, Just to make sure that is what you are hearing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the clicking went away. When i was driving around today i noticed that the clicking was gone. It was more of a tick tick tick noise.... i guess i just need to change the oil. I bought the car 2 months ago with 138,000 and it now has just over 140k, its in perfect shape and was obviously babied. Even the leather is near perfect. So i guess i just assumed it would be perfect mechanically, i guess ill have everything looked at.....
What should i tell the dealer? Just to check everthing out? What does a tune up cost? Im new to legends so im not to familiar with everything it takes to maintain them. So far the only problems most people have are with the head gasket and the transmission mount. Any help would be greatly appreciated......i want this car to last forever and anything i could do to keep this clickin from comng back....
peace
MD

·
fa2blk
31 Posts
Hey everyone....
Today i started my car in my garage to let it warm up, and while i was standing there after about five minutes the car began to make a clicking noise. It came out of the blue, the car was idling normally and then there was this random clicking. I tried revving the engine, but the clicking only got faster when i did this. Then i shut her off and restarted, but to no avail. After driving around all day, the noise is still there and is coming from the engine bay. Anyone have any ideas on what it might be? Its somewhat loud and very noticable, not to mention that its annoying the hell out of me. I have a 91 legend auto coupe. Oh yea, the car drives no differently and there are no lights coming on in the cosole..... so....................... im clueless................
thanx
MD
im having the same prob with mine

·
Registered
814 Posts
What they said above; and,
check the dipstick for oil level; add oil if indicated. Re-assess Tick noise.
Consider oil change if more than 6 months or 3500-5000 miles. Dealership
approach might be overkill. Try to find a reliable independent mechanic
who is familiar with Acura, Honda cars. Use search to gain knowledge of
how others solved problems. Keep posting. Good luck and, Happy Motoring!
And when was the Timing Belt and Water Pump service done? That is not
related to the ticking; it is essential to know for maintenance purposes and
budgeting.

·
fa2blk
31 Posts
hey i got some good news. after reading all these post about engine noises yesterday. i took my car to strauss auto store and i bought 4 qts of gtx high mileage 10 w 30, a bottle of lucas oil stabilizer, and a bottle of Gunk valve medic. i put one bottle of valve medic liquid into the engine right away with the current oil in the engine. i drove the car type fast to get the liquid to flow through the engine right away. this stuff is suppose to free gummy stuff in the engine that causes the valves to make these noises in 5 minutes of driving around. i noticed the noise calmed down after driving a few minutes. when i heard the noise calm down i proceeded to go get a oil change. after having the oil change, i figured this would be a pre-stage of flushing the dirty oil and its gummy deposits out before doing the oil change. what can i say, it worked very well for my legend. the noise has calmed down much better. now, the next thousand mile i will change the oil with auto-rx. im going to keep doing this until the engine eventually flushes all the dirty and gummy deposits out. from reading these post, this is the knowlegde ive obtained. if your legend has high miles like mine, 222,444 miles. you should change your oil every thousand miles, this way you dont give your engine enough time to become dirty with gummy particles. jetdoc whats up?

·
fa2blk
31 Posts
one more thing. with these cars, you have to always watch the oils, hoses, and anti-freeze fluids it seems like this is where all the engine problems start. also try to stay on top of the electrical connections every where. they do tend to go bad somewhere down the line.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
hey i got some good news. after reading all these post about engine noises yesterday. i took my car to strauss auto store and i bought 4 qts of gtx high mileage 10 w 30, a bottle of lucas oil stabilizer, and a bottle of Gunk valve medic. i put one bottle of valve medic liquid into the engine right away with the current oil in the engine. i drove the car type fast to get the liquid to flow through the engine right away. this stuff is suppose to free gummy stuff in the engine that causes the valves to make these noises in 5 minutes of driving around. i noticed the noise calmed down after driving a few minutes. when i heard the noise calm down i proceeded to go get a oil change. after having the oil change, i figured this would be a pre-stage of flushing the dirty oil and its gummy deposits out before doing the oil change. what can i say, it worked very well for my legend. the noise has calmed down much better. now, the next thousand mile i will change the oil with auto-rx. im going to keep doing this until the engine eventually flushes all the dirty and gummy deposits out. from reading these post, this is the knowlegde ive obtained. if your legend has high miles like mine, 222,444 miles. you should change your oil every thousand miles, this way you dont give your engine enough time to become dirty with gummy particles. jetdoc whats up?
thats smart lol i have lucas oil stabilizer do i use that before or after the oil change?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts