Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Five- O
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I turn on my climate control I notice a ticking noise coming from the temp sensor on the center console. It's coming from that little vent where the system sucks in air. I know there is a fan in there that sucks in the air. I'm thinking that either something got sucked in and it's hitting the little fan or it's just dirty. The noise seens to be getting louder as time passes. It seems to be the loudest when I first turn on the system.
I'm planning to take off the center censole and take a look, but it's too cold right now.
Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks
Esti

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
hey

it's a bomb I planted in your car.
BLAO!

·
Registered
270 Posts
No, sorry... Never had that problem, but I'd be interested in what you find out about it.... I'll probably have something like that happen eventually !!

Good luck !!

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
It's cat hair, dandruff, sweater threads, lint, etc etc etc. Once you take it appart you'll be surprised at how much garbage can be sucked into such a small vent, and all get wraped around the fan shaft. Just be very careful picking the gunk out.

·
Five- O
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks I'll take it apart and let u guys know.

Esti

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've got that same noise too. It seems to go away after a while.

How do you open that bad boy up to clean it out?

Also, anyone have a good place to get new parts cheap?

·
Five- O
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You have to take off the center console. I did it when i changed my radio. remove several screws on the console and dash and in the ash tray and console pocket and it comes off.
I'll probably wait untill early spring to do it agian. But I'll take pics and let u know what I find.

Esti

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sounds good. Then you can let me know if it's worth the effort, since I'm the least handy guy there is :)

Talk to you then,

·
Registered
846 Posts
How do i turn on the climate control. I know I have it because I have the little sesor behind the ****ft nob, and in the far left corner of the dash, but I dont see any buttons that look like it would be to turn it on. Am I a retard, does my car even have it?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Esti and to all those who have interest in this thread.

I began noticing an noise - very soft in nature which became louder with time. The sound my "Aspirator Fan" (which is the Actual OE nomenclature) is now making is equivalent to a tape rewinding in the deck which is about to stop.

Total time for removal should be 5 minutes or less. I removed mine in 30 degree weather as I could no longer deal with that annoying sound!

Bad news is... I called Acura of Augusta GA and the "Aspirator Fan" at our forum discount costs $140.00. This little sob fan is so small. Geez! Anyways, Karen Radley Acura in VA wanted $248.00 - talk about Acura of Augusta being cheaper. First he quoted a price of $160.00 then I told him I was from the forum and he dropped the price to $140.00.

Although debris build up may cause a noise to come from the fan - here is what I would tend to believe.

The actual fan itself has a pin running through it. The poles or ends of the pin slides into a plastic piece on either side of the interior of the case (actually one side is effectively the case and the other side is the electronics of the fan) - WELL, the plastics which hold the ends or poles of this pin wear, causing a vibration at high fan speed.

Best way to tell if the fan is making excessive noise is... With the radio off, door closed, and in an environment that is quiet - turn the key to the last stop before power is sent to the starter. You will hear the fan running. The fan is supposed to be ultra quiet.

I have disconnected the wires to the fan pending replacement.

KNLNGUS

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Chuck-Hu$tle said:
How do i turn on the climate control. I know I have it because I have the little sesor behind the ****ft nob, and in the far left corner of the dash, but I dont see any buttons that look like it would be to turn it on. Am I a retard, does my car even have it?
To turn the climate control ON, press the AUTO button located below the temperature knob. Adjust temperature as desired. The climate control will choose the best combination of air vents, AC, heat, recirculating or outside air. You can over-ride the automatic control by selecting any one of the push buttons underneath the flip-up cover.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I dont think I have that, I do have the sensors but no buttons like that. I have seen 2 different gauge clusters for temp control in the G1s, could I maybe have the equipment for climate control, but no controls? I have a 90 L sedan if that helps.

·
Five- O
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the good info KNLNGS- Dam $140 is pretty high- ohh well just have to suck it up and order it. Have u noticed any difference in the system since u disconnected the fan unit.

Hey chuck here's a pic of the controls on my 88 L coupe. I know that it came standard on the LS and it was an option on the L, that's why I have it on mine.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hey, Esti... The cup holders.... I've been trying to think of how to do it ?? How did you? They look almost stock !!

I HATE driving around trying to hold a drink between my legs !! (Non-alcoholic, of course)

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
cdndvl said:
Hey, Esti... The cup holders.... I've been trying to think of how to do it ?? How did you? They look almost stock !!

I HATE driving around trying to hold a drink between my legs !! (Non-alcoholic, of course)
I have those cup holders too. I ordered mine from Mission Viejo Acura. I don't think they have them anymore. At least I didn't see them last time I checked.

Don't fret though. They're not very good. Anything taller than a soda pop can gets dumped on the floor anyway.

BTW, the auto climate control was standard with the "L" option in '87...at least on the coupe.

·
Five- O
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
paulo is right- they look good but you have to keep your hand on the taller drinks or else. This happened to me after a visit to the BK drive thru- I had my drink in the cup holder made a turn onto a steep hill (not going fast) and the entire soda spilled on my passenger side foot area. I had to remove the passenger seat, lift up the carpeting, clean everthing out and shampoo the entire area. What a pain in ass. But it works great for coffee cups. I usually put a napkin down first and it holds in snug and keeps any possible spills off the carpet. I plan on doing a little modification to it. I'm thinking about cutting out the bottom of the cup holders and attaching some extra plastic to make it deeper. I don't know why they didn't make it deeper in the first place b/c there's room underneath.

Thanks for the correction on the standard equip.

Esti

·
Registered
846 Posts
Which model was the more high end model, L or LS. I dont have that control cluster, mine is the other one. Is it possible to switch the controls in my car, so the CC will work, weeing as I have the sensors and everything?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Whats up Chuck,

Dude, i have all the little vents too. However, in my 89 Coupe L, i have the manual climate control. Im sure that LS is the higher of the three models (Base, L, LS) in that order. LS just received a few more things then our L 's it had Bose audio, Driver info center (where our clock is, told things like dist. till empty, estimated mpg, etc), and a "Passenger Restraint System"? thats all that i know of as far as differences go. However, each year the equipment varried some. As i was saying, my car has the small vent infront of the center armest / console. but i lack the auto-climate. I have the manual knobs with the fan speed and heat and all the buttons. (Two big knobs and all the buttons on the top.) Anyway, sorry to bum ya man. i was kinda wonderin the same thing. And strange enough, some of the sites ive seen say that the Legend L 's and the LS 's came with "climate control" doesnt specify automatic vs. manual or anything. weird huh? anyway, take care

-bryan --- AKA King of long posts LoL

·
Registered
270 Posts
My '90 L sedan has the climate control, heated seats, power seats with memory and a MANUAL tranny... I just thought the climate control was standard.... Am I wrong ?? I don't have the trip computer...

·
Registered
846 Posts
Well I have a L with leather, power memory seats, all the sesors for the climate control, does every legend come with the factory car alarm? I would just assume that mine should have had the climate control. Thanks for the info guys.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts