Acura Legend Forum banner

Climate Control Ticking- Revisited-

2K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  pipes_0 
#1 · (Edited)
The ticking of the Climate control temp sensor got so loud that I had to replace it. I was really easy to replace. The sensor is attached to the underside of the center console by three screws and all u have have to do is disconnect it. I still have the old one laying around so I decided to take some pics for u guys.

This is a pic of the entire unit

This is the unit in pieces. When i took it apart there was dust and dirt on the fan and the needle part which attaches the fan to the body.

Here's another pic

When I first took out the old unit I tried to clean it up, without taking it apart. I then reattached it but It still made tha same noise, so i just installed the new one (nice and quiet). I haven't tried to reconnect the old unit after I took it apart and really cleaned it. You may want to try that before spending the $150 on the new one.

I hope this helps.

See less See more
#4 ·
yes, not on purpose though, i cleaned the little tray and took out a lot of dirt(not mine the other owner) put it back and still got the same noise so i decided to take out everything to clean the mini fan, attached it back and the fan wouldn't spin anymore :-( but the noise was gone :)

#5 ·
I probably did the same to mine b/c I haven't tried it after I took it apart to clean it. If your in the NY area I'll give u my old one - to see if It works for u?

Esti

#7 ·
The part cost me $150. I assume it's important b/c it senses the in car temp and makes the ajustments to the air coming out. Your system probably just as acts like a normal heat/cold now, Not stopping when the air hits the temp that's on the dial. Well if you want mine I'll have it in my closet. I'm sure shipping would be really cheap.

Esti

#9 ·
**** you guys are right i haven't thought about that. No wonder i notice myself turning on and off the heat/fan a lot nowadays. b4 i remember my fan use to quiet down after the desire tempeture was met but no the heat just blast untill i turn it off myself damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Esti how much would shipping cost me??? can i make the payment online?? and another thing do anyone know if the sedan have taht piece cause i can probably get it thanks

#10 ·
I really don't know for sure but when I went to the dealer to the to order the part (The part guy had no idea what I was talking about and had to ask a service guy) I heard one of the service guys say something like the sedan has it under the dash board.
Not sure if it's the excat same unit.

I have never sat in a g1 sedan so I don't know if they have the same vent in the center console. Your going to have to ask someone?

send me your address via PM and I'll find out. If it's like $10- 15 - don't worry about it- I'll just send it to you.

Esti

#11 ·
hey esti, how'd u take it off? I was lookin at it., but the screws are like upside down. So how did u disconnect it? There is such little space next to the hand brake to even access it with a screwdriver! or does it just pull out? i tried taking mine off, but no idea how i did it. i can't stand that rattling noise. Thanks.

#12 ·
You have to remove the entire center console -remove several screws on the dash/side of console/center pocket- - unplug the unit and remove the console. The unit is attached to the underside of the console by three screws. It's really easy to do.

esti

#13 ·
hi guys i have a exciting new update about my climate control temp sensor. Before i thought i broke it becuase the fan wouldn't spin so i position the pin and the fan was spinnging agian except the noise was still there. But after playing with it i got it fixed by myself. I cleaned it hard and used the good old wd-40 and reposition the little needle in the righ spot to get it work but not only work quiet :) it took me two weeks of hell to try to fix it whenever i'm free but i fixed it :) perhaps anyone who have the same problem i suggest they they reposition the pin so it can spin corrctly without touching anything I knew i could fix this but also beware i have broken a lot of stuff i've tried to fix
. Thanks esti for letting me know that my sensor was broken and thanks for your kind offer for letting me keep yours but i think i'll keep mine now

#14 ·
Excellent

Excellent works pipes_0,
Mine has been giving me the sh*ts for a while, I think i will try the very careful cleaning approach and see if I get lucky.

Richard

#15 ·
done...

just fixed it - was pretty easy with a can of electrical cleaner.

no noise at all now and the climate control works perfectly.
that noise had been bugging me for 18 months, so glad it's gone,

going to take her for a cruise now...

cheers for the advice guys!

richard

#16 ·
guys, i know where all the screws are for the center console, i took off the 2 screws under that coin thingy in front of the shifter. but how do i remove the actual piece.........it seems like it's gonna break. If noone understands which piece of talkin about...it's the black piece that covers the gear selector. i bet i made it sound confusin, haha.

#17 ·
you don't have to remove the coin screws. i have a coupe and there are i think 6 screws to remove the the arm-rest where the sensor is. good luck. and 89LCoupe that was fast compared to how long i took. i had to remove the damn peice and adjust it put it back in and adjust it etc. i'm glad you fixed it. i'm happy with mine now :) sometimes i think its not working becasue i don't hear it but my auto climate works so i know its ok

#18 ·
so basically i just need to remove all the side console pieces? hopefully some1 will reply before i go get started. Anyway, i'm gonna go play around with it and see what i can do, if i have a problem, i'll be back. haha. thanks for the help.

#19 ·
kaastro said:
so basically i just need to remove all the side console pieces?
i'm not sure what you mean by side console peice maybe you meant center console???? anyway you do have to remove the center console where the armrest and the arm box is that is where the fan is. After removing it you will have to attach the cigarette lighter wires and the fan wires to play with it good luck

#20 ·
problems getting the console off

are you talking about the woodgrain bit over the changer - it's held on by two screws under the coin box and clips around the edge - you need to gently pull it up and away. be careful with this because it's easy to break the clips out of the thin wood veneer.
Man it is so sweet to have that noise fix, have spent the whole weekend cruising with the climate control on. wicked.

rich

#21 ·
ok, i think i got a little confused by ur instructions guys. lol. i understand that the armrest and box are going to be removed, but i guess to make things easier for me, which screws and what parts do i need to remove in order to get to the fan? and which if any of the parts do i need to remove in a special way in order not to break them? thanks

#22 ·
After you remove the screws from the armrest disconnect the wires that are connected to the armrest. 1st wire is for the cigarette lighter for the back (i think there are two wires) and the 2nd wire is connected to the fan sensor. After that is done there are three screws to remove the fan piece from the armrest itself. and to open the fan sensor there are two screws and two little nuts (be careful not to lost the small nuts when you unscrew the fan) after that try cleaning the whole piece where it needs cleaning and then try to adjust the fan/pin (for me i had to put the fan with the pin in it in the black piece of the fan cover and push it all the way). Hope i'm clear to you and sorry for making you read all this hope you get it to fix and be patient

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.