Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two questions here:

1. I need a set of clips for the trim piece on my passenger door (the door is difficult to open since only 3/5 clips are on it). Any ideas on where to get a good price? It's no real rush (I typically don't carry anyone other than myself in the car but in case I ever have to I want to be prepared). I have the sedan, which I know has different clips than the coupe. My model year is 1988, but I don't think that makes a difference.

Any website or auto parts store will work as long as they're cheaper than the Acura dealer. I would go to a boneyard, but it's the middle of winter and I live in Pennsylvania...not exactly a way to spend a Sunday afternoon. I also would want new clips that aren't worn out, and I'd prefer 5 since they seem easy to break.

2. The security alarm is another concern of mine. It works, but sometimes goes off when it's not supposed to. This car was my grandparents' before I got it in July 2004 and it did it a few times for them. With an unlocked door, it would go off for no reason in the garage. In about September it started going off in the garage almost every time I didn't lock the door. Since I keep my winter hat and gloves in the car, it makes it tough on me when I just want to go out and shovel my drive. Then, on Saturday, the most embarassing moment of my life as a driver happened. The alarm went off at the gas station shortly after I finished pumping gas.

Someone at an Acura dealer once said this was because of a sensor under the hood. My theory is that the pawn on the door (that signifies locked or unlocked) gets stuck (my driver side lock is sort of sticky) in the position where it is not completely up. I know for a fact that the alarm is set off when someone manually pulls the lock up (I accidentally did this once with the window down) so maybe this is the case?

No matter what is wrong, any quick way to fix this manually? I'm a computer technician so I have some mechanical experience but I have never really worked on a car before (aside from some minor body work, the door switch that toggles lights, and changing winshield fluid), and I can't be without the car since it's my only transportation (I have to take a day off when it gets inspected or something since my friends live in a different area than me and we can't carpool or anything...no way would I take a day off over something this minor).

BTW: Anyone know what the shelf life of touch-up paint is?

· Registered
2,973 Posts
I had a problem with the alarm and it was easily fixed at the dealer.....a bad door sensor. As far as the door trim clips......I'd try your local junkyard. I really don't think that they're that expensive so I may try the dealer on those also!

As far as the touch up paint......it lasts if you properly clean and prepare the surface. The larger the repair....the shorter it'll last unless you take your time !

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.