Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I think that I have pin pointed my problem a little bit better now, but maybe it is just multiple things that are wrong with it :(.

I had my dad drive the car back and forth on our hill by our house by moving the car in and out of drive and reverse. When comving forward in drive and making a turn to the right a clunk can be heard from under neath the car, somewhere in the middle of it towards the front like in between the wheels. When driving the car, it normally makes a wierd noise too, whenever turning to the right, but it's usually not that same clunk, but they may be related. Turning to the left though is perfect. Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
LeGeNdZ_4_LiFe said:
Aaron, am I correct that you ruled OUT the tie rod end?
You replaced the CV....
This is interesting.....any more details?
Usually the sound of a bad CV joint.

A cv joint will clunk when turned all the way to either side.... steering wheel full crank though... will usually be quiet anywhere in between.

I also think that if it is when you turn to the right, it is a bad left cv joint.

Tell us more..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I replaced both CV Joints, left and right. It sounds like it's coming from directly in the middle underneath the car. Almost like it isn't come from a certain side. If I had to chose though I guess I would say that it's more from the right side, but that is just a guess.

Leon, and yes, I had a couple mechanics look at it and both said that the Tie Rod is just fine :(.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
These problems suck because you have to drive around to make it happen, but at the same time its harder to see and hear:rolleyes:

Have you had your suspension checked out to make sure everything is snug and fitting tight?

What about your steering linkage.... loose maybe??

Does the clunk affect the way the car drives (pulling, oversteering??)??

Is it just one clunk, or a succesion of clunks?

Like when you are turning right, if you drive around in circles, will it be clunk clunk clunk clunk clunk, or just one clunk?

Sounds like a wierd problem... maybe worth the hour shop rate for diagnosis:rolleyes: :confused:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Im haveing the same problem but i dont have to be driving the car to here it. I can have the car in park, turn the wheel to the right and it sound like somthing is cracking. The guy that replaced my cv jounts said that the barings on my lower control arm needs to be replaced. I ordered it last friday so ill let you know in about a week how everthing goes

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm, yeah, but mine doesn't sound like its coming from the area where the lower control arm is quiet whomp whomp whomp and then at the end sometimes. Most of the time it's just the whomp whomp, almost like something is lose. Sometimes it's quiet, and then sometimes it can be a lot lot louder.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Could it be the rack and pinion?

I am having that exact problem right now, and although it seems like an obvious CV joint issue...I think it might actually be the rack and pinion...

Anyone?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm also having a similar problem. It mostly do it when i take a right turn to park n hit the brake, i will hear a clunk sound coming from my left front wheel. It's only do it when i stomp on the brake pretty hard, if i let is slow down n ease on the brake just a lil bit, there will be no clunk sound. I can't figure out what's going on either.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your problem is completely different from the one that I was having then. Yours probably has something to do with the brakes I bet. Mine ended up being the rear transmission mount.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
DrEemAr gUy said:
I'm also having a similar problem. It mostly do it when i take a right turn to park n hit the brake, i will hear a clunk sound coming from my left front wheel. It's only do it when i stomp on the brake pretty hard, if i let is slow down n ease on the brake just a lil bit, there will be no clunk sound. I can't figure out what's going on either.
Thats funny..... About 2 days ago, I noticed the same thing..... I slammed on the brakes and and I heard a clunk from the front somewhere.. It does not happen when I press on the brake lightly. No idea what it could be....:confused:

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
mine does this exact same thing!!!
Started happening a little while after i got my 18s it seems like they are to big or something i dono just seems like it strains everything

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
If it is a clunk or thump from under the console area, it is as Speed Demon has suggested, a failed rear transmission mount. The clunk is evident primarily when the vehicle transitions, and mine was most noticable when turning RT up the drive. If you have not checked your rear mount do it. Mine failed at around 58k miles.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
LPB said:
If it is a clunk or thump from under the console area, it is as Speed Demon has suggested, a failed rear transmission mount. The clunk is evident primarily when the vehicle transitions, and mine was most noticable when turning RT up the drive. If you have not checked your rear mount do it. Mine failed at around 58k miles.
I just replaced mine about 2 months ago???:confused: :rolleyes: . What about an engine mount..??

·
Registered
143 Posts
UCL returns!

i have an occasional squeaking but mostly a "thunk" when i brake hard or change directions (park -> reverse or reverse -> drive (letting the drivetrain actually engage)) and the car lurches a little in that direction.

what is it you ask?

it is the upper control arms. the A shaped piece holds onto the knuckle with both of the 'legs' of the the A. these connections have spread a little bit, allowing travel.

a good way to check is to turn the wheel all the way to one dirction so you can see the goodies inside the wheel well. have someone put the car in drive and hold the brake, and give it a little bit of gas. if you see some clean metal inside along the traveling rods (at the bottom of the 'legs'), this may be what's causing the probs.

ah well, jus' something to check out

·
Registered
41 Posts
Also, the reason I don't think that it's bad cv joints is because I don't hear the noise when I shift between Park-Rev-D4-Rev-Park. Only one thunk when I first push (gently even) on the brake peddle to slow to a stop. And again only one thunk when I turn to left.

I am wondering about the brakes though, since during all this inspection I noticed that when I engage the brakes (even when in park) a clicking noise is apparent from the parking brake and the p-brake even moves a little when I engage the brakes. Weird.

I left the car with my Dad today, who is going to take her apart and check her out. He'll eliminate anything obvious (i.e. brakes or cv joint). If between us we can't figure it out by the weekend, I'll take it in to the Acura dealer for estimate on Monday and see what they come up with.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks for your input.

Ben

·
Registered
76 Posts
I guess Im going to have to jump on the bandwagon and admit to my RT turn probs as well.

Happens:

-as Im just beginning to turn the wheel and proceeds for the majority of the rotation.
-as I go from a parked position and I begin to turn my wheel at the same time as I slowly lurch forward
-maybe at a frequency of 4-5 times a month

Sounds:
-like a rubbery, rubbing sound
-as if the tire is rubbing up against the wheel well (although its not what Im assuming, it still sounds that way)
-not entirely loud, but does vary, and most of the time all passengers would be able to notice if they were actually paying attention to it (nobody has said anything yet)

Feel like:
-a slight vibration coming through the floor and rest of the chassis, eminating from the front of the drivers seat. Definately noticable.

Rhymes with:
-just kidding.

I dont think it would be brake related (at least mine isnt, along with most of the members posting here). CV joints, not in my case because it happens before I max out the wheel. I'd like to have this control arm thing checked out. Sounds interesting and expensive, none-the-less :) :confused: :( :eek: :mad: .

·
Registered
143 Posts
actually, the UCL's are a steal at $143ea from acura of augusta...

tony in ATL quoted me $600 for both, but that was before i got him in contact with AcAugusta and he was going to have to pay $220ea for them.

i actually haven't done it yet for lack of time and $, but when i get back from OR on the 8th i'll be bringing it in... i'll letcha'll know

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
it is most noticable for me when the car is in reverse and i am slowly pretty much ideling back and the wheel is cut kind ahard

oh yeah im at 160K and have not had rear tranny out replaced me mechanic said it was ok at the last tune up at like 155K

1 - 20 of 37 Posts