Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in the acura dealership yesterday wanting to look at a six speed that was elsewhere being cleaned. Anyways, the salesman told that the clutch had been replaced..

He said it was $3000 CDN for a new clutch, and that is because it was a "double clutch"....

Is he pulling my leg? Is he being a typical acura salesman?

How much is a clutch for these cars, and can you buy aftermarket that is still pretty good?

Just wondering incase I need to replace a failing clutch ever....it kinda scared me thinking I have to fork out $3000 for a enw one...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
he might have meant dual friction... which is true.

There's a maker called SACHS which makes VW parts, which I hear is a great clutch, for OEM-type applications.

The other ones are Centerforce and Clutchmasters, but are a little tougher to work on a regular stop-and-go traffic situation, and are more "performance" oriented.

-Jose

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I heard of the centerforce and clutchmaster, but not sachs.... If it is the same company, they make very good bike equipment.

So what about the price though, is it really that much?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Clutchmasters

6 Puck Metallic solid rigid hub (disc)
2500lbs pressure plate
throwout bearing and pilot bearing

$455.00 USD

KNLNGUS

Labor is where the get you. Now, in my situation, I am more than confident that I can do the job - I just need 3 specialized tools associated with clutch jobs (that I realistically may not ever use again). I did email acura of augusta for pricing - no word yet, or from any members who have done the job before as to whether or not they will lend them (for a fee of course).

I heard somewhere that the "book" calls for 10 hours labor.

KNLNGUS.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The book is 8 hours labor. I had mine done a few months ago.

·
Registered
1 Posts
when he is talking about a double clutch, he probably is also talking about the flywheel too. The flywheel on a 6-speed is a duel mast flywheel which is about 2 1/2 - 3 times as thick and heavy than a regular 5-speed flywheel. The retail for the duel mast flywheel is approximatly $800 us

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So really the 6 speed trannies are not close to the 5 speed ones?? A little more beefed up I guess... man, I hope I dont have to replace mine anytime soon....gotta stop baggin':) :rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts