Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Well I am getting my clutch done on the 29th, just wondering if anyone who has done their clutch themselves came across any difficulties at certain points which I can let my mechanic know just to save time etc.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, responding to my own thread.

Here is what I know and am going to pass onto my mechanic, anything else would be appreciated.

1. The 36mm sealing bolt can give trouble (refusing to open) (Is this the same one as the extension shaft one?) Aldopovich gave this response earlier.

http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/f4/help-extension-shaft-instalation-nightmare-118156/

"Have someone apply the brakes to lock the wheels in place while you loosen the sealing bolt. If the end of your breaker bar isn't squared off well enough, try using a short extension (I've noticed the drive ends of some breaker bars have rounded corners, seem prone to rounding out the sealing bolt, sometimes a good extension will be more squared off on the end for better engagement). Use a pipe on the end of the breaker bar for more leverage"

What Kenso said earlier:

"You can thread a bolt into the end of the ext. shaft where the tool would attach, then pry underneath the head of the bolt until you get the ext. shaft pulled back and disengaged from the diff. Any of the oem bolts with a 12mm head should work."

"If you have a manual trans, put it in 1st or reverse and apply the brakes to lock the shaft and break the nut loose. It unscrews normally, not reverse threaded or anything. Once you remove the nut, you can thread a bolt into the end of the extension shaft and pull it away from the diff until it disengages."

"I use a long breaker bar with a length of pipe slid over the end for more leverage in some cases. Sounds like you don't have a lot of room though. You may have to get the car a little higher off the ground."

Anything else?

2. Flywheel Refinishing

- Apparently hand polishing it to remove the glaze can help. I am going to go with the dual mass setup. How do you hand polish a flywheel? Using a grinder?

3. Regrease the Shift Linkage

- Why? Makes shifting easier I would imagine - how hard is it to do?

If anything I guess this thread could be as reference for people needing help with clutch replacement

·
has left.
4,520 Posts
Hey all - bumping an old (ish) thread on purpose here as I try to figure out some details for my mechanic before Dad's 6MT goes in for a new clutch.

The service manual refers to a Honda special tool, a ring gear holder, as well for removal of the pressure plate. I suspect people aren't ponying up for the tool so how are people accomplishing this?

EDIT: I see this is a pretty standard Honda tool - the P/N cross references to Accords, Civics, and Preludes so I don't think he'll have too much trouble getting his hands on one but if anyone has a reasonable work-around, please chime in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.