Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i get it after i drive for a while and only when i drive for a while. If it idles or i rev it in the drive way it wont happen. And after i turn the car off and start her back up the light wont come back on until i drive it again.

· Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Zerocool_Designs said:
I had the same problem not too long ago. The code 14 is for your Electronic Air Control Valve, or Electronic Idle Control Valve, depending on the year of your Legend. I just went to the junkyard and got a "new-to-me" EACV, and haven't seen the light since.
i cant say i know what that is. Where is it? on the manifold? because i have an extra maniflod. Do you have a pic?

· Registered
4,259 Posts
88_acro said:
i cant say i know what that is. Where is it? on the manifold? because i have an extra maniflod. Do you have a pic?
EACV/IAC valve control the amount of air bypassing the throttle plate in response to signals from the ECU. I've got No pix but EACV/IAC valve is located to the right of throttle body mounted on top of intake manifold plenum with 2short coolant hoses and some wires plug into it on one end.

Remove and clean with throttle body cleaner, spray inside 'til you clearly see the plastic bellows, fast Idle Valve is right below EACV/IAC, both air management components, I suggest you remove and clean it too.

If cleaning doesn't fix your problem then do as Zerocool_Designs suggested, new EACV/IAC is not cheap and ONLY stealership item. good luck!

· Registered
4,259 Posts
88_acro said:
is this the part you are talking about
That is it...

· Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
pnoye2 said:
That is it...
do i take of the very top plate held on w/ 8mm bolts or the second w/ 10mm bolt

b/c i took of the top and there were no bellows as u spoke of

thanks

· Registered
4,259 Posts
88_acro said:
do i take of the very top plate held on w/ 8mm bolts or the second w/ 10mm bolt

b/c i took of the top and there were no bellows as u spoke of

thanks
... my bad dude, top plate cover is for coolant passage way... feeds from the back hose through the front (pictured) hose, which connects down to the fast idle valve.

... and yup, the 10mm bolts hold the EACV/IAC valve down.

· Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pnoye2 said:
... my bad dude, top plate cover is for coolant passage way... feeds from the back hose through the front (pictured) hose, which connects down to the fast idle valve.

... and yup, the 10mm bolts hold the EACV/IAC valve down.
Thanks, im going to do it now.

· Registered
7 Posts
If the ECU fuse is not pulled, hence it is not reset then why does the check engine light go off for the first few miles. I would think if you have to reset the ECU to get rid of the alarm that the check engine light would come on as soon as you restarted the vehicle. I thought the ECU in this year vehicle did not require resetting as it is reset each time the vehicle is turned off.

· Registered
4,259 Posts
If the ECU fuse is not pulled, hence it is not reset then why does the check engine light go off for the first few miles. I would think if you have to reset the ECU to get rid of the alarm that the check engine light would come on as soon as you restarted the vehicle.
Alright ejohn, lemme see if we can clear this up…

If the warning lamp lights while the vehicle is operating, the ECU has sensed a system fault… may be either loss of signal or signal out-of-range, either high or low, and when the CHECK ENGINE lamp is lit, the ECU has entered the default or fail-safe mode in which fixed values are substituted for the faulty or missing signal.

Any recurring fault code(s) will be set in memory and the ECU will send a "coast is clear" signal (CEL off) to further monitor any other fault that may arise... and for this reason, troubleshooting should be based on the presence of stored code(s).

I thought the ECU in this year vehicle did not require resetting as it is reset each time the vehicle is turned off.
Yes, the ECU only requires resetting when clearing codes (procedures below).

Stored codes are removed from memory by removing the power to the ECU, while disconnecting the battery will clear/reset the memory, this is not the recommended procedure. The memory should be cleared after the ignition is switched OFF by removing the appropriate fuse (7.5A Alt. Sense Fuse; underhood fuse and relay panel) for at least 10 seconds.

Hope this helps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.