Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Legend
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i have just left my house to go see my gf, and after just rolling down my hill as i left my house, i put in neutral (auto tranny) and revved the engine up a bit high (bout 5000) to help pump oil (i have lifter tapping) and all of a sudden the little yellow engine light came on.

i pulled over, turned the car off, then turned it back on, put into drive, and it just conked out. i did the same thing again, turned the car on, checked the ecu at the passenger feet part and its giving 4 flashes (crank angle sensor i believe) but the car seems to run fine now, yellow light is still on the dash though.

any idea, help? how serious is this? i might go reset the ecu and see if it dissapears.

just throw suggestions at me.

thanks a lot for your time,

mike.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Well you might just have to replace the sensor. Its a real stupid thing to happen. I had to replace mine. Its behind the camshaft sprocket i believe. So i replace the sensor and all the belts since I was in there anyway. I was driving with the crank angle sensor problem for like half a year. Mileage isnt is as good and not as responsive. After everything was done i felt like i had a new car. Ya well almost.

·
Legend
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks a lot for that, i got a bit worried, but when i went to leave my gf's house the yellow light has gone off the dash board, but still 4 flashing lights at the ecu.

the weird thing is that everything seems to running fine again.

where abouts would i be looking to find a new crank angle sensor, bear in mind im from australia. would i be looking on american ebay? or are they a sort of universal type thing.

i figure if i get the parts, then take it to a mechanic, it wont be as expensive.

thanks a lot for your help.

mike.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I had to get my parts at an Acura Dealership. It was like 187 dollars Canadian. With the sensor in and the belts and some gaskets it cost me about 500 dollars labour.

·
825 Posts
ND1980LS said:
As you said...if everything seems to be runing OK....reset the ECU.
Ditto, if it doesn't come back on, well then okay.

Note to oneself - no more high revving engine in neutral while driving.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
gotmylegend4free said:
can somebody tell me where the ecu on a 89 2dr coupe is? is it under the passenger seat or where ur feet rest on the passenger side
I used the search function and came up with this post:
KAHruzer
Mo*or Mo**h

Car: 1987 Legend LS Coupe Coupe's ECU IS located at the far upper left corner of the passenger carpet.
Roll back the top edge to see the LED window.

TCU is under the passenger seat.

I'm pretty sure it applies to your car also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.