Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have been looking into making some modifications on my 93 legend auto coupe. I am looking to add fog lights, cold air intake and performance exhaust. I posted a question in the "2nd generation" forum asking if there were any good Acura mod shops in the SF Bay Area and legendgs94 recommended Exact motorsports in Milpitas, CA. I stopped by there today and the lady in the shop told me that cold air boxes were illegal in CA and if I get one I wouldn't be able to pass the SMOG check next time around. Since this was the same shop that quoted $316 for a pair of PIAA 1500 I have my doubts.

So, does anybody have any experience passing SMOG in CA with cold air box installed? Did you have any difficulties passing? Now any good place in Bay Area that sells/installs those (fog lights too
;) )? Thank you!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Tushka said:
Hello,

I have been looking into making some modifications on my 93 legend auto coupe. I am looking to add fog lights, cold air intake and performance exhaust. I posted a question in the "2nd generation" forum asking if there were any good Acura mod shops in the SF Bay Area and legendgs94 recommended Exact motorsports in Milpitas, CA. I stopped by there today and the lady in the shop told me that cold air boxes were illegal in CA and if I get one I wouldn't be able to pass the SMOG check next time around. Since this was the same shop that quoted $316 for a pair of PIAA 1500 I have my doubts.

So, does anybody have any experience passing SMOG in CA with cold air box installed? Did you have any difficulties passing? Now any good place in Bay Area that sells/installs those (fog lights too
;) )? Thank you!
Tushka, sorry the bay guys haven't answered you on your last post. I don't EVER really go to the bay. As far as passing SMOG, I've only had Cali tags since November, but when I install my custom CAI I will be holding on to my original parts just in case because I'm not sure about this whole SMOG thing. Holla!

·
GS Hog
7,026 Posts
For the most part, most intake setups are illegal. They are only legal if the manufacturer has obtained CARB certification for the part. I believe that Weapon-R's intake setups are CARB certified. I don't know where the cold air box comes into the SMOG picture though.

I have a home-built CAI and just had my smog check done. All I did was replace it with my stock box for the inspection, and popped the CAI back in when I got home.

·
Registered
449 Posts
weapon R and rs akimoto intakes will pass smog w/o the needs of putting back your stock filter. A DIY CAI should be easy to remove when smog times comes though so you shouldn't worry about that. As far as the fog lights 300 a pair? good lord put out 50 extra bucks and get yourself HID and 50 bucks for some tenzo fog lights on ebay and you'll have enough lights to shine a studium. :D I wouldn't go to any local shops to do any performance upgrades unless I really have to now a days. They normal charge you double the price. Since pympdaddi is from Sac I think he'll help you with the CAI intake. ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. I checked out the Weapon R intake/cold air box (like $340) - looks cool! I wonder what is the hp benefit? There are several dealers in the Bay Area. So, as long as they are legal in CA SMOG check wise - I am getting one! :)

as for the fog lights - I only found little round tenzo lights on the ebay and I was thinking more along the lines of something squarish to fit nicely into those openings usually covered by the horn covers. any ideas? Btw, you were right - most fog lights I've seen so far are nowhere near the $316 I got quoted earlier! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
449 Posts
look for tenzo 500 those are the rectangular ones like the ones that i have, IMO the cold air box isn't worth it since you're not directly pulling cold air from the outside, you're just blocking out hot air from the engine which is good but doesn't serve the whole purpose of a CAI. You're better off investing on a regular intake IE, akimoto or weapon R intake and then custom the CAI like the one in the tutorial that's available here.

go here to see how it looks like

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hey hey! Sorry it took me so damn long to respond. I'd hate to make it look like the Bay Area Legend drivers don't have any AC spirit. Anyway, if you're in the city, let me know and I'll take you down to the shop I go to all the time. They don't really do much install, but you can get good deals on parts. Hit me with a PM or e-mail me at [email protected] and I'll we can meet up sometime.

-GR

·
Registered
180 Posts
how would intakes cause you to fail smog. The only thing it dose is help the air induction or whatever. Its probably illegal only. But if im wrong about the smog. please explain to me... :confused:

·
Registered
180 Posts
and also weapon-r intake is illegal, but it should be cheaper, AEM is legal, but it cost more in some cases. Because they had to go through all the hassle to get the carb sticker for it. But the only way a cop will check under your hood, if you end up street racing, and your car looks really ricy. Im running a stock intake with a ractive cone filter. Im not afraid of anything because the filter wont kick in untill you reach more then 4500rpm. I have a friend that can get you the intakes for alot cheaper. Or else i would buy a intake for a differen't car such as a honda which will be cheaper, and coustomize it to fit the legend. Your intake is very easy to do. it only has one turn, and alot of cars use that style.

BTW: i am only 14, i do alot of mods on my legend. and im still in the learning process of everything about cars. I will be working on a coustom turbo project, soon. But it will only be for a 1990 automatic legend coupe. Sorry for all the g2 guys.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
To pass smog, as long as all the hoses are hooked up in the right places, then it is legal. If you are using separate air filters for each hose that needs to be hooked into the air intake hose, then that is when most SMOG inspectors will fail you right away, due to the VISUAL inspection, even if you pass the running test.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts