Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey whats up? these new forums are great.., anyways i heard people complain about this before, my antenna wont go all the was down for some reason. when i turn the car off it goes about half way down and then stops. anyone know what the cause could be or anything i can do to fix it?? Thanks alot.

·
LEGEND
909 Posts
when that happens to me i turn on the radio so it comes out all the way, then i spray the antenna with WD-40 and clean all the excess off the car. Let it go up and down a few times and it should be fine :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
might be a little rust on the actual antenna.. if it was started to rust already its pretty much gonna give you that problem quite often and spraying wd 40 wont really help, need a new antenna or mast

·
Stiff Member
94 Posts
Normally replacing the mast alone should help. Inside the mast there is a white plastic strip with gear teeth on one side(just like a timing belt). These teeth pass in front of a gear attached to a motor(rack and pinion). As the motor turns the white stip is pulled in the direction of the rotation of the motor.
With time the platic teeth on the strip get worn off and the motor just rolls over them instead of gripping and pushing them back in. It normally happens when the mast is almost fully retracted since it there is more strain on the gears. Remember, the plastic strip has to coil up in the assembly and that adds more resistance mostly due to friction. This why when you lube the antenna with W-40 it works(friction is reduced) for a while then lube wears off you get the same problem again.
Do this, unscrew the mast when the radio is on. Remove and inspect the teeth on the plastic strip, especially at the top ( the area in question). If there is apparent wear, then you need to get another mast. If not, clean it up and lube it and return it.
To return it in, simply push the plastic stip back in as far as you can, and have someone turn off the radio while you hold the mast in place.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Antenna Reception...

Question, my 94GS' sound system (Bose 200W) Sounds pretty good (missing the VERY highs however). The antenna reception seems to pick up a good amount of static on some fairly nearby stations to me. Doesn't happen to all the stations. My 90 Coupe doesn't seem to pick up as much static, could it be that the higher end speakers just make me hear this "static" more?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The antenna also seems really loose ( like it can be turned around in either direction at the bottom, and it can be jiggled at the bottom) there is also alot of grease on the antenna, should i take that off?
when i turn the radio on the antenna doesnt go up, it just stays half way. any ideas on how much it is to replace the mast??

G

·
Yeah, In my 94 Coupe my antenna never goes down no matter what I do. I just need to get a new mast, I'll probably call Acura of Augusta tomorrow, I'm kinda getting sick of dealing with it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just

Instead of spending time and money on fixing your antenna,
just unplug the power wire that connects to the antenna.
You will still be able to get great reception and unplug it
when the antenna is down. All of my Acuras had this problem.

G

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I just replaced my whole antenna with a euro 15" rubber antenna, same quality reception from stock IMO looks better. Got it from antennax.com for $20. Probably saved 10lbs of weight too.lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts